mexico to open consulate in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are tons of legal Mexican immigrants in OK so this really doesn't seem like wild news.

It seems not only smart, but necessary, for the OK GOP to try courting legal Mexicans as voters. Most Mexican immigrants are fairly conservative, the men seem to like wearing Carhartt/Dickies and driving domestic pickups, and let's be honest they're doing all the hard labor jobs that keep people grounded to reality.

And you know what they aren't? Pink haired, soyboys, college educated marxist, trans activists who want to groom your kids into becoming queer.
Decent points about Mexican voters. Dems pretty much have the lock on them now, and it really doesn't make that much sense given my experience with their views, as you stated. Dems have successfully painted republicans as anti-immigrant. But outside of that impression, most latinos would much more closely align with the conservatives, I'd think.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Decent points about Mexican voters. Dems pretty much have the lock on them now, and it really doesn't make that much sense given my experience with their views, as you stated. Dems have successfully painted republicans as anti-immigrant. But outside of that impression, most latinos would much more closely align with the conservatives, I'd think.

It isn't just how Dems have painted Repubs though. I'm ethnically east asian and was born/raised in OK so I had a chance to see things through a certain lens here in OK.

I'll tell you this - conservative whites have a very strong in-group preference and that makes an impact when it comes to the idea that conservatives should do outreach to minority groups in order to maintain a strong political voting base. While I was growing up, it was largely the democrat/progressive types who wanted to befriend me whether it was in school or sports clubs or any other social setting. The boot wearing country boys and the country club white kids really kept to themselves and didn't really care to branch out. (but funny enough I got the most racism from other minority groups)

(and for the record I was not some weird goth, skater, or stoner or whatever that would have made me learn toward any social group)

Even now as an adult, I see the same thing happen.

So in my opinion, the matter of illegal immigration was lost decades ago and there's really no chance that some politician will come in again and seal that southern border tight . For this reason, if conservative whites want to hold onto their party, they've gotta get outside of that bubble and try being the first ones that these minority groups meet. I'll tell you that most immigrants to the US are going to be VERY flexible in terms of politics, but you have to be the ones that welcome them with open arms.

When I saw the news about that church in Noble(?) that was welcoming the Afghan refugees to OK, I first thought "oh crap" but then I thought about it again and figured, hey at least it isn't some super progressive urban church in the downtown core that is doing it. This is the sort of strategy that needs to be adopted.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they came here to intrigant and pledge allegiance, why would they need this. They are all legal right?
Being here legally doesn't necessarily mean that they're here to become Americans, any more than American ex-pats working in Saudi Arabia are there to become Saudis.

ETA: what GC7 is discussing is a separate (albeit related) topic from why Mexico is opening a consulate in OKC.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are tons of legal Mexican immigrants in OK so this really doesn't seem like wild news.

It seems not only smart, but necessary, for the OK GOP to try courting legal Mexicans as voters. Most Mexican immigrants are fairly conservative, the men seem to like wearing Carhartt/Dickies and driving domestic pickups, and let's be honest they're doing all the hard labor jobs that keep people grounded to reality.

And you know what they aren't? Pink haired, soyboys, college educated marxist, trans activists who want to groom your kids into becoming queer.
And the really funny thing, most legal immigrants want the illegals stopped and a border wall too.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't just how Dems have painted Repubs though. I'm ethnically east asian and was born/raised in OK so I had a chance to see things through a certain lens here in OK.

I'll tell you this - conservative whites have a very strong in-group preference and that makes an impact when it comes to the idea that conservatives should do outreach to minority groups in order to maintain a strong political voting base. While I was growing up, it was largely the democrat/progressive types who wanted to befriend me whether it was in school or sports clubs or any other social setting. The boot wearing country boys and the country club white kids really kept to themselves and didn't really care to branch out. (but funny enough I got the most racism from other minority groups)

(and for the record I was not some weird goth, skater, or stoner or whatever that would have made me learn toward any social group)

Even now as an adult, I see the same thing happen.

So in my opinion, the matter of illegal immigration was lost decades ago and there's really no chance that some politician will come in again and seal that southern border tight . For this reason, if conservative whites want to hold onto their party, they've gotta get outside of that bubble and try being the first ones that these minority groups meet. I'll tell you that most immigrants to the US are going to be VERY flexible in terms of politics, but you have to be the ones that welcome them with open arms.

When I saw the news about that church in Noble(?) that was welcoming the Afghan refugees to OK, I first thought "oh crap" but then I thought about it again and figured, hey at least it isn't some super progressive urban church in the downtown core that is doing it. This is the sort of strategy that needs to be adopted.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Do you see inclusiveness and/or acceptance as improved vs when you grew up, or same?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Do you see inclusiveness and/or acceptance as improved vs when you grew up, or same?

Hard to say since I mostly stay in the OKC metro and this place is as cosmopolitan as any other major city now.

But a few years back I did go to the Friends of NRA event at the Cleveland County fairgrounds and I stuck out like a sore thumb LOL. Nobody was mean to me or anything but I could tell a lot of people were surprised to see me in the crowd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom