Michael Jackson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

No, I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson. It was on the Yahoo home page about his passing 2 years ago and it got me to thinking.

Way back in the Eighties, one of my guitar idols(yes I have his autograph on a guitar pick guard and one of his guitar picks my cousin caught at a concert in a frame) played a quick solo on the song..."Beat It".

Back to today. I looked up Eddie Van Halen and he stated he did the solo for free.....free!!?? Man-oh-man, back when Michael was rolling in it....money, not little boys, if I was Eddie.....cha-ching!!! Money up front or a percentage of sales or royalties!!

From an internet article.......
Van Halen also noted that his favorite collaboration ever was with Michael Jackson on the song “Thriller.”

“It was a lot of fun to do. It’s crazy that something could take such a short amount of time and can grow into something beyond anything you could ever imagine.”

Favorite collaboration ever!!! Is Eddie getting alzheimer's!!?? What about David Lee Roth and Sammy??!!

a little snippet of Beat It...Van Halen solo:
http://youtu.be/AlNWf7IBDOQ

Upon being telephoned by Quincy Jones, requesting that the guitarist participate on the track, Van Halen thought he was receiving a prank call. Having established that the call was genuine, Van Halen recorded his guitar solo free of any charge. "I did it as a favour", the musician later said. "I was a complete fool, according to the rest of the band, our manager and everyone else. I was not used. I knew what i was doing, i don't do something unless I want to do it. Van Halen recorded his contribution following Jones and Jackson arriving at the guitarist's house with a "skeleton version" of the song. Fellow guitarist Steve Lukather recalled, "Initially, we rocked it out as Eddie had played a good solo, but Quincy thought it was too tough. So i had to reduce the distorted guitar sound and that is what was released. On the record, as Van Halen's guitar solo begins, a noise is heard that sounds like somebody knocking at a door. It is reported that the knock was a person walking into Van Halen's recording studio. Another story has claimed that the sound was simply the musician knocking on his own guitar

Awsome solo from a guitar hero.

Cohiba

*** forgot*** Michael Jackson was an excellent composer.....I'll bet he is a great de-composer!!!:nutkick:

Yes, I know, the flames in He[[ just got a little hotter for my arrival!!:tounge:

Latest posts

Top Bottom