Michigan man accused of poaching 9 trophy bucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state ought to garnish any wages he might have till its paid off.

No people like that won’t stop, but something needs to be done to them. Officials should have the right to inspect the poachers premises at any time.
He likely works for cash doing odd jobs. I'd go so far as to bet there's at least one EBT card in his house. You'll never truly find a way to punish people like that. As for the premises search, there's an amendment and laws that refer to what they can and cannot do. Do not wish for random searches because before long that will apply to anyone. My suggestion would be to stop putting such an emphasis on big racks and you'll take away their incentive to do it. Haven't met a person yet that can eat antlers or humble pie when they shoot a big one.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why all the animosity towards shooting them at night? With the technology available it's really not that hard anymore. The game laws are antiquated at best and there's really no reason to not shoot them at night. Lot's of us who work during the day would appreciate the extra time in the field.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why all the animosity towards shooting them at night? With the technology available it's really not that hard anymore. The game laws are antiquated at best and there's really no reason to not shoot them at night. Lot's of us who work during the day would appreciate the extra time in the field.
You’re kidding, right?? I sure hope you are cause if not, I’d call a person like that an effing poacher to his face.

Everyone can try and squeeze in time to hunt if that’s their passion even though life and the world is clawing for that persons time.

No a person can’t eat horns but, a person that’s not down on their luck, a person that just kills for the heck of it is not wanting meat, they get their kicks by having the biggest set of horns they can get.

As far as you saying the game laws are antiquated, I agree there might need to be some changes but night shooting deer?!!! Your’e out of your fricken mind.
Don’t know you from Adam but with those comments I’d say you’re not far from being a poacher yourself.

I work during the day, raise cattle on the side and I dang sure carve out time to be in the woods hunting. You have 16 days to kill a buck, big or small that’s your choice. But I’ll be danged if I say I don’t have time to hunt so I’ll just poach one after dark, right after I head to the store and buy some groceries to feed my family.

Be a real hunter, if ya can’t or don’t know how ask someone to mentor you and do it the right way

I have a night vision scope that I use for hogs and checking my heifers during calving season, so yeah I have the ability to night shoot too. It’s against my morals!

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re kidding, right?? I sure hope you are cause if not, I’d call a person like that an effing poacher to his face.

Everyone can try and squeeze in time to hunt if that’s their passion even though life and the world is clawing for that persons time.

No a person can’t eat horns but, a person that’s not down on their luck, a person that just kills for the heck of it is not wanting meat, they get their kicks by having the biggest set of horns they can get.

As far as you saying the game laws are antiquated, I agree there might need to be some changes but night shooting deer?!!! Your’e out of your fricken mind.
Don’t know you from Adam but with those comments I’d say you’re not far from being a poacher yourself.

I work during the day, raise cattle on the side and I dang sure carve out time to be in the woods hunting. You have16 days to kill a buck, big or small that’s your choice. But I’ll be danged if I say I don’t have time to hunt so I’ll just poach one after dark, right after I head to the store and buy some groceries to feed my family.

Be a real hunter, if ya can’t or don’t know how ask someone to mentor you and do it the right way

I have a night vision scope that I use for hogs and checking my heifers during calving season, so yeah I have the ability to night shoot too. It’s against my morals!
9 days actually. I don't have any private land to hunt during deer season. And while I don't shoot deer at night, what is wrong with it? How does it differ than shooting them during the day? There's a huge difference between moral and legal. Just because you can doesn't mean you would. And you'd see a lot less trophy poaching if everyone would stop putting such an emphasis on antlers. We get it, you all like shooting big deer. I shoot them for meat. Couldn't care less about antlers.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9 days actually. I don't have any private land to hunt during deer season. And while I don't shoot deer at night, what is wrong with it? How does it differ than shooting them during the day? There's a huge difference between moral and legal. Just because you can doesn't mean you would. And you'd see a lot less trophy poaching if everyone would stop putting such an emphasis on antlers. We get it, you all like shooting big deer. I shoot them for meat. Couldn't care less about antlers.

It's wrong because other hunters don't approve of it. Moral superiority is a big deal; with some folks.

I draw the line at wasting meat. That's a big difference from when the deer was shot, I reckon the deer would just as soon not be shot at all.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you shoot for meat shoot as many does as you legally can, don’t worry about it.

I never said I was a trophy hunter, I just have a big problem with poachers, night shooters etc. I am from a small town where we have a lot of both and for awhile we didn’t see many bigger bucks. I would turn in my own family if I caught them doing that kind of crap.

I can’t prove it but I believe there is more “trophy hunting” that occurs after dark than day light hours.

Still you have 9 days to take a buck, if you are not a big buck person and just want to shoot a buck, legally, I have no problem shoot what you want.

Moral superiority has nothing to do with it, when I said I have morals I meant it as the ODWC has set the rules and I’ll go by them. I’ve never wasted a deer in my life, other than a few bad hits and I didn’t find them. I eat what I want and give the rest to friends and family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom