Michigan man accused of poaching 9 trophy bucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those that say they do not care about the deer are surely not hunters and probably never plan to be. Either that or they are poachers themselves. I have to believe non-hunters because I have never met anyone at OSA that was a low life sh%t head like a poacher. And if they ever do take up hunting and can not find that nice buck they want to put in the freezer, oh well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, this is what I'm talking about. they didn't get any money out of him, ended up spending money to detain him and he got back out and was back at it again. What was the point of it all then? He learned absolutely nothing. Those are the ones I'm talking about. He's out nothing but a little time. He'll continue to shoot them as he always has, probably using a stolen rifle, in a truck he gave a few hundred for and stopped paying on. There are truly hopeless people out there and he personifies that.
Don't disagree. There are worthless POS people out there that will never be rehabilitated no matter how many fines there are, but we can't let them go unimpeded like the shop lifting laws in commiefornika now that allow no arrest if the item is under $1000 nor condone the legal use of drugs that have zero use to improve the health of a human.
What big time fines do is stop the average normal person from taking that shot a minute or two after legal shooting light, and so on.
I'm sure there are thousands in Oklahoma now that have been slapped with big fines as well as loss of equipment, public embarrassment and so on that will NEVER take that shot right after legal shooting light expires when they think nobody is watching and go out of their way to unload the gun way before they have to so there is no question, and so on.
As an example, the GW in the county where our farms are (since retired) told me about a guy from Arkansas that he stopped after shooting a pheasant from the road. At that time the fine was $75 or something. Guy said he had been driving those roads for many years to take pheasant, so the $75 was the cheapest lease he had ever paid. (in the late 80's)
Update to last year when the current GW called me and said he had two guys from Potou Ok trespassing and killing some quail on us. (I posted pics and the story last year) he asked me what I wanted to do. I told him to find a tree, hang em high and let them swing in the wind.
Just happened to be across the quarter on the other side of the hill when that happened so drove the 4 wheeler with the AR in the front gun rack over to be an "observer" while he wrote out tickets which amounted to the $750 per person fines.
I'm sure their spouses let them know that was probably worse than jail time.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This past saturday night I had a spotlighter coming around about every 30 minutes. At 3 in the morning I was sitting in my truck over in my pasture and here the vehicle comes again, it's a loud diesel and you can here it a mile away. Passenger shines his light and sweeps the field and it comes around and hits me right in the face. I have a bright flashlight right back at him and turn my headlights on and they speed off.

I called the game warden for push and latimer country. I finally got to talk with the one for latimer county on the phone and tell him the situation. He says hell come around and check out the area. I haven't seen or heard from him since. He lives probably 30 miles away as the crow flys but would take longer to drive.

I heard the loud truck go by my house this evening and try to get a hold of the gw to let him know the truck is back in the area. No answer on his phone.

It doesn't do any good to call anyone around here, they won't get in any hurry to show up.

Several years ago I caught a guy dragging a buck across the same pasture. I caught up to him on my 4 wheeler and called the GW. The GW told me to get the poacher/trespasser information and have him meet him at the ez mart as he was busy watching some duck hunters. He never came by to talk with me.

later I got rewarded with a gut shot cow floating in my pond.

The county sheriff is the same way. Most of the time they never show up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This past saturday night I had a spotlighter coming around about every 30 minutes. At 3 in the morning I was sitting in my truck over in my pasture and here the vehicle comes again, it's a loud diesel and you can here it a mile away. Passenger shines his light and sweeps the field and it comes around and hits me right in the face. I have a bright flashlight right back at him and turn my headlights on and they speed off.

I called the game warden for push and latimer country. I finally got to talk with the one for latimer county on the phone and tell him the situation. He says hell come around and check out the area. I haven't seen or heard from him since. He lives probably 30 miles away as the crow flys but would take longer to drive.

I heard the loud truck go by my house this evening and try to get a hold of the gw to let him know the truck is back in the area. No answer on his phone.

It doesn't do any good to call anyone around here, they won't get in any hurry to show up.

Several years ago I caught a guy dragging a buck across the same pasture. I caught up to him on my 4 wheeler and called the GW. The GW told me to get the poacher/trespasser information and have him meet him at the ez mart as he was busy watching some duck hunters. He never came by to talk with me.

I know a guy living in that area. Deer season is year around. The GW has their hands full I'm sure.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure hate poachers, years ago I took my brother in law hunting and saw a truck coming down the road as we were walking in. Turned to talk to my bil, looked back to where the truck was and he’d disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Finally found the truck and two guys were in it said they were looking for their dogs, then said they were checking wells.

After a few hot minutes on my part I got the plate number and tracked them backwards and found they shot a doe and dumped her over the fence. Called the GW with the plate number and he had them each tickets written by dark.

GW told me that I must have had an impact on them cause they said I was mad as h_ _ l and they weren’t coming back around there.

I’ve got to say the GW’s in at leas my part of Caddo Co. are good, now the county sheriff that’s a whole different story. We don’t expect much from them and get even less than we expect.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laws exist and they majority follow them
Punishment/fines exist for those that don't too low the law. Some are deterred or learn from their punishishment/fine.
Some lowlifes will never learn or change.

Oh, Okay. A fine. Cause the states don't own the animals. So what would a 90K fine mean to him? think he'd ever pay it? And by the way, I don't know the answer that would be an effective punishment on people like that. It only penalizes someone who has something to lose. How do you punish someone who doesn't?

State doesn't own the deer, they do make the rules.

So, you are saying, do nothing, let the poachers go, because they are going to do it, anyway.
Same with looters?
All criminals?
Forget the rules, some don't follow them and never will. Therefore, nobody should have rules.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the type of thing I don't care for in conversations. Others trying to extrapolate something that was never said just to get their point across. Ive never said don't penalize crimes. I've asked how do you teach a lesson to someone who won't learn? The punishments that have been suggested are of little use on this element. Some people will do what they want, how do you correct that?

Spiritof76

Boundary pusher extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
He likely works for cash doing odd jobs. I'd go so far as to bet there's at least one EBT card in his house. You'll never truly find a way to punish people like that. As for the premises search, there's an amendment and laws that refer to what they can and cannot do. Do not wish for random searches because before long that will apply to anyone. My suggestion would be to stop putting such an emphasis on big racks and you'll take away their incentive to do it. Haven't met a person yet that can eat antlers or humble pie when they shoot a big one.
Agreed surprised anyone in here would even remotely suggest random searches

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

they probably know the guy

Latest posts

Top Bottom