Mickey Gilley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always thought he was a good singer.
They were playing his songs on the radio today and I forgot how many I remembered.
I think they said this was his first # 1 hit.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not a big fan, but did enjoy some of his music. He has 17 #1 songs.
Lived 20 minutes from the night club, for 25 years. Went there several times BEFORE Urban Cowboy. It was one hell of a place.
Went to the Urban Cowboy Reunion in Brandon, 3 years ago. He and Johnny Lee put on a great show. Talked with both, after the show.
Hard to believe Gilley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Swaggert are cousins. He claimed the three had sworn to never tell of their exploits.
He was a really nice guy and a great entertainer.

Just before Urban Cowboy started filming; Gilley was playing the club. He went to take a break and Johnny Lee asked him if he could during their break? Nobody knew Johnny, Mickey was quite intoxicated, tells Johnny to come back in 2 weeks. Johnny says, "that was what you said 2 weeks ago." Mickey laughed and said, "well then, get your a$$ up there." Johnny played for 2 hours, Mickey wouldn't let him stop. When they started filming at the club, Mickey made sure Johnny was on stage.

Last edited:

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never was much of a country music fan and honest I'm not sure why but I've always kinda liked "Paradise Tonight". I don't think I will ever forgive Gilley for inspiring that insipid wretch of a movie "Urban Cowboy", when Scott Glenn can't save a movie, well............

Anyway, "Paradise Tonight"

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Urban Cowboy was nothing more than a bad remake of Saturday Night Fever. A great soundtrack and not much else.

Gilley's Club was OWNED by Sherwood Schwartz, the Godfather of Pasadena. Gilley was a "partner", somewhat.

It was an awesome place BEFORE the movie.

Latest posts

Top Bottom