Mild .357 loads or .38 Spec.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to start reloading for my S&W M19 & 66 both 4". I have loaded for my .45's and various rifles. For target shooting wouldn't it make more sense to load mild .357 magnum rounds or do these pistol seem to prefer hotter ,38 special loads. I have read it is best not to load hot 125gr. 357 loads, but 158gr. loads are gtg. I have been using Unique in my .45's.....I haven't decided what I will run in the revolvers.
thanks for info,

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 231 or hp38 with my cast 357 mag loads and I use a .5cc lee scoop and this is about 5.1gr.. very swell load in the 357.
If you have that powder.
70 feet it grouped 2" standing shooting 2 handed with iron sights. I have loaded other "light" loads and they do fine.

Try not crimping the bullet for more accuracy.. I do this and my bullet is .001" larger than the case ID and I run it through a lee carbide factory crimp die.. but not using the crimp.. just ironing the case out..
My best accuracy is like that.. with the lee gas checked bullets I make.

So many ways to load the 357 and any combo could work well,, just need to get out and try.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mostly been debating whether to use ,38 spec brass at all because of the extra fouling in the cylinder. From what I've seen in my books, it looks like the 357 likes to run hot for most loads. I've seen that with the .300WM too. You are right there are a lot of combinations. I just ordered a die set, time to order bullets.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I clean my guns after a range trip and see Zero issues with 38 brass loads in my 357.. this fouling people speak of must be the same people that cut the crust
off of their bread to make a PB&J and do not put the lid back on the peanut butter..

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to start reloading for my S&W M19 & 66 both 4". I have loaded for my .45's and various rifles. For target shooting wouldn't it make more sense to load mild .357 magnum rounds or do these pistol seem to prefer hotter ,38 special loads. I have read it is best not to load hot 125gr. 357 loads, but 158gr. loads are gtg. I have been using Unique in my .45's.....I haven't decided what I will run in the revolvers.
thanks for info,

Unique makes a pretty decent mid range .357 Mag load.

I don't think you can get mild .357 and hot .38 to cross unless you go below minimum on .357 or into .38 + P range. Which baffles me sometimes.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unique makes a pretty decent mid range .357 Mag load.

I don't think you can get mild .357 and hot .38 to cross unless you go below minimum on .357 or into .38 + P range. Which baffles me sometimes.

How do you dispense your powder? I had trouble getting Unique to meter will in a Hornady L-N-L powder measure.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Lee Perfect powder dispenser. I never loaded any on my progressive. I checked 1 or 2 of every 10 on a scale. It was throwing pretty consistent, +/-.1gr usually, but I was also making sure to operate it the exact same every time.

Unique is kind of a pain to dispense; hence why I checked so frequently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom