Mild .357 loads or .38 Spec.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read it is best not to load hot 125gr. 357 loads, but 158gr. loads are gtg.

If you are referring to the cracked forcing cone problem in the K frames, you have nothing to worry about using unique; you can't get the bullet going fast enough with unique to cause the problem, which is that a light bullet over something like WIN296 will hit the forcing cone fast like a hammer and may crack it. I don't use my 296 loads in my model 66 at all, saving the full power .357 loads for a 686 L frame.

As to using .38 in a .357, my model 66 is my IDPA revolver, and gets fed 158gr Berry over 4.3gr HP38 in .38 cases by the buckets full. When I clean it, any ring of residue in the chamber disappears with a swipe of a Brownells "Tornado" chamber brush (not used on the bore). No big deal.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started loading plinking loads for my 357 using Unique, and when it dried up locally, I switched to 2400...and am now thinking about switching to Bullseye or back to Unique (if I can find more) due to the powder savings...I'm running around 11-12 grains of 2400 versus 5-6 of Unique, and it appears only 4-5 gr of Bullseye...has anyone loaded practice/plinking 357 loads with Bullseye?

Redriverboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive loaded 38 spl with bullseye over cast 158 swc with red rooster or powder coat im not by my load book right this second but will flip through it tonight when I hit the loading bench

:edit: didn't see the 357 part ill have to check and see if ive ever done 357 with bullseye

Latest posts

Top Bottom