Military bolt match tips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never been in a shooting match before but I am thinking of entering the military bolt action match coming up so looking for tips. I have a hex mosin and a 89/59 mosin, I need to see which one is more accurate but money is on the hex. I have a round reciver I am very comfortable with so it's not gonna be a big change really. How much ammo should I bring to a match? What kind of ammo would you guys suggest or would it make a difference, I have surplus and I also have some brown bear match ammo (so says the box). Those are my main questions but any tips would be great.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Course of match: unlimited sighters, 10 for group, 10 for group, 30 for score + (OKCGC only)unlimited sighters for supplemental, 10 for supplemental.
I usually bring 80 rounds, but use 60-75.

Reloading is going to be the best thing you can do for the match.

As far as tips - shoot and shoot a lot. Come out to the match - have some some fun, learn as you go.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my plan! I don't have a reloading set up yet so it's store bought for me. One thing I saw on the website said its a "fire cracker round" 10 shots 10 min @100 yards.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i really enjoyed myself at last moinths match. the wealth of knowledge from those guys is incredible. i'll be shooting my swede this time if i can make it to the loading bench! look forward to meeting you. hope some others can make it as well. btw, have you contacted ron doggett yet? he is "military bolt"here on the forum.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your going to shoot factory/mil spec ammo then you are going to need a taller front sight as most of the milsurp bolt guns are sighted
for 200 meter point of aim with the rear sight at it's lowest setting, this make the rifle shoot 4-6" high at 100 yards.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So aim low is what I'm hearing from you haha.

Ammo wise brown bear match vs surplus or does it matter? I was planning on bringing some surplus as practice ammo and switching to the brown bear for the round.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So aim low is what I'm hearing from you haha.

Yap put up two targets one about 6" below the other, aim at the lower to hit the upper, expermintation will be the key for the
correct distance betwen targets.

Ammo wise brown bear match vs surplus or does it matter? I was planning on bringing some surplus as practice ammo and switching to the brown bear for the round.

In that Mosine the surplus may shoot better than the match, you'll have to shoot both to find out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom