Military deployment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as I didn't serve in the military. For those who know, can a governor of a state deploy national guard troops outside the state for any reason? There are 15 or 18 states sending some south in the near future. What say you? Does it come from a commander in chief? What level of government? What criteria does it have to meet? How long can they be gone for?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, because unless they are activated federally (National Emergency, Deployment overseas, etc), the Governor is the CINC for his state's troops. This applies to state/local militias and National Guard; the NG belongs to the state and the governor is the Commander in Chief, contrary to what the TV says. The Reserves are federal and states have no say so over the Reserves. The governors can coordinate with each other and support each as they see fit (just like other nations do).

States, regardless of the poor civics taught in school, are still considered sovereign and the United States is a federation of these sovereign states...otherwise they'd be provinces like other unfree countries have, Canada, Australia, Britain, China, Thailand, etc.

Don't confuse state/local militias with Big Bubby's 134th red dirt militia with all 10 members....they're just doing that for likes on tik tok and whatnot.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, because unless they are activated federally (National Emergency, Deployment overseas, etc), the Governor is the CINC for his state's troops. This applies to state/local militias and National Guard; the NG belongs to the state and the governor is the Commander in Chief, contrary to what the TV says. The Reserves are federal and states have no say so over the Reserves. The governors can coordinate with each other and support each as they see fit (just like other nations do).

States, regardless of the poor civics taught in school, are still considered sovereign and the United States is a federation of these sovereign states...otherwise they'd be provinces like other unfree countries have, Canada, Australia, Britain, China, Thailand, etc.

Don't confuse state/local militias with Big Bubby's 134th red dirt militia with all 10 members....they're just doing that for likes on tik tok and whatnot.
There is actually a Statute or Provision (or somthing) That states, any militia in the state of Oklahoma falls under Command of the Governor and may not operate outside the state with out the express consent of the governor. I am going off memory on this and this was over 5 years ago, That I read about it. It was at the time when BLM had Bundy's cattle rounded up in Nevada. I remember reading about it because there were some OK Militia members there and there was talk of legal action from the state

bobkhan

Enlightened Redneck
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 3 statuses an OK guardsman can be in: 1. Title 10 - federal funding, federal controlled (Posse comitatus applies) .

2. Title 32 - federal funded, state controlled (Posse comitatus does not apply)

3. State active duty(SAD) (which in OK is title 44 of the state statutes) (state funded, state controlled) (Posse comitatus does not apply) .

In T32 and SAD guard forces can be deployed within CONUS to assist other states like the TX border.

That process begins with state to state coordination in the form of an Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC). This compact is an agreement between states that outlines forces needed, authorities given (arrest powers), dates needed, and perhaps most importantly who is paying the bill. Once all parties agree the mission happens.

For example: TX asks OK to send some troops to help them secure the border. Both states agree on the above terms and then the deployment happens. This can occur completely independent of the federal government’s approval provided they are in SAD status (or in most cases T32, but there are several nuances that I won’t go into here)

This process is what you have seen most of the time whenever the OK guard leaves the state for a CONUS mission like hurricane support, wildfires, flooding, border security etc.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk…..

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in the army reserve we were on our last training days at Gallant Eagle in Barstow CA. We had only a few hours to go before we would have to be "federalized" in order to remain in CA for training. I was asleep on the hanger floor when the C-141 rolled in that would take us back to Wichita. We were there for a total of three weeks. I am unsure about the national guard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom