Military Members: Your favorite, most effective weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So for those who either are or were in the Military, what weapon or device of destruction was your favorite and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a lot when I was in.

B-52 (conventional ordinance)
AC-130
A-10
Paveway laser guided munitions (precursor to JDAMS)
M-198 Arty
MLRS
AH-1 Cobra
GAU series guns/cannons
M40A1 sniper rifle

Those were the weapons (IMO) that created force multipliers which were incredibly difficult to counter, and created an outsized footprint on the battlefield in respect to their envelope. Each one not only represents a unique advantage on the battlefield, but also represents capability either unmatched or unparalleled in other military forces. Of all those, the A-10 rises to the top for me. I can't think of any weapon that brings so much to the table in just about any operating environment.

I didn't mention several other weapons that I really appreciated when I was in, such as the EA-6B Prowler, F-111F Aardvark and M1 Abrams (We were still predominantly using the M60A3's when I was in), as well as the AH-64 Apache (likewise too new in inventory), because they have more limited roles overall (again, IMO). I was trained in calling for naval gunfire should the need arise, but the range and type of ordinance available in a specific situation was limited.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
12 ga pump shotgun. I was Coast Guard and when we would board a boat suspected of smuggling drugs they had a few of us "Lining the rail" The Chiefs, officers and those doing the boarding got the good stuff and the rest got either M16A1 or a 12ga. I hated the mouse gun then and still do.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beehive round out of a m101a1 or a m102. Fired at level tube from these 105 howitzers were devastating. The flishetts demoralized the enemy in Vietnam . Only bad thing about using this round meant you were probably being attacked by human waves of the enemy!!!! Also claymore mines were Very devastating. In an ambush they would make things rough for the enemy. Attacks on a firebase s' burm gave relief to heavy attacks . Finally, fougas set off to protect our berms were absolutely a moral boost in attacks on our fire bases

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Never was in one but spent a lot of time parked on a hill in Graffenwier Germany watching M1 Abrams tear it up!!
The M110 Howitzer was pretty cool in direct fire as well!! Watching a good gun crew feeding that beast during live fire missions was impressive!! And night fire muzzle flash out of that thing just warms the heart!!!:cool:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought it was old age and treachery that won the battles. Did you ever notice you don't see General Officers in battle? they're old and treacherous..but far more decent than a LtCol trying to make Colonel, they're like a wounded wild boar.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1.PRC 25 Radio, covered all the support fire required
2. Blooper, they were just fun to fire
3. Duster, those Bofors 40mm guns were awesome on that small tracked gun platform
4. USS New Jersey, reach out and touch someone 25 miles away with a 2000+ pound round
5. Fleshette rounds were all they claimed to be, Camp Carroll's cannon cockers ran their 105's to point blank and wiped out a whole crap load (battalion sized) of NVA
6. 50 Caliber BMG, not very portable, but wow

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Running the fire control director just above dual 3" 50's in rapid fire at towed sleds and sleeves. That was back in the 50's but I still remember the awesome noise, smoke and smell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom