Military Members: Your favorite, most effective weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only saw them firing rockets, B52 bombing the DMZ, couldn't see em, and they still couldn't take out the NVA arty that was shooting at us.

Last edited:

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many to choose from! Loved watching the Cobras and their precision, listening to the rounds from a battle ship as they passed overhead to wreak havoc was awe inspiring, the solid column of tracers from "Spooky's mini-guns at night was amazing and the M-79 was just a gas to shoot.

My personal favorite was my M-14 with selector switch and bi-pod, great at fire suppression and on semi-auto could reach out and touch someone.

was in DaNang one evening when the locals tried to over run the fuel dump. grunts were up there on the bladders chasing bad guys with K Bars, the bad guys had satchel charges. spooky arrived on station, at that time late 65 i had never heard of spooky, i saw a solid red stream of light go from the sky to the earth, then this eerie moaning sound like some one drawing a bow across the strings of a stand up base, it did that several times then they lost control of the gun somehow and the sky was full of tracers, like red shooting stars. i remember thinking when the gun was under control and had only the single continuous red red light, "look at that, they've finally made a laser operational" LL

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only saw them firing rockets, B52 bombing the DMZ, couldn't see em, hear em, and suddenly from miles away a large chunk of the planet turned to dust, all that and they still couldn't take out the NVA arty that was shooting at us
A guy I know had a friend who was in a (IIRC) LRRP platoon. They were on patrol and pinned down by a sniper; they knew roughly where he was, but couldn't get a shot at him, so the guy called for an artillery strike, "two rounds, first available."

Because of who they were, they were considered a priority call, so they got priority treatment, and "first available" turned out to be the New Jersey. Yes, the battleship.

Turns out that "two rounds" translated to "two full broadsides." The first one obliterated the hill; he said he was screaming on the radio for them to stop, but they told him that they were already in flight, and there wasn't any way to call them back...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I know had a friend who was in a (IIRC) LRRP platoon. They were on patrol and pinned down by a sniper; they knew roughly where he was, but couldn't get a shot at him, so the guy called for an artillery strike, "two rounds, first available."

Because of who they were, they were considered a priority call, so they got priority treatment, and "first available" turned out to be the New Jersey. Yes, the battleship.

Turns out that "two rounds" translated to "two full broadsides." The first one obliterated the hill; he said he was screaming on the radio for them to stop, but they told him that they were already in flight, and there wasn't any way to call them back...

I seem to remember that story as well, but I think I read it in either a magazine or a book. I've got a couple of paperback books about the LRRP's, and some of that stuff would curl one's toes pretty quick.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

1961Nov.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom