Miller mig welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont be sorry about the Grainger deal. I was out nothing but the time to order. As my brother would say " The Juice was worth the Squeeze" I'll call the place you recommended tomorrow. I'm thinking I want a 150CF bottle. Victor was $250 and Wilbanks was $227 ( though the company I work for has an account there so I might be able to get it a little cheaper). Both places said that they were in the 25 dollar range to fill (swap) the tank.

It is my understanding...
Flux wire welding is not nearly as good looking or controllable of a weld as the gas counterpart. It's advantages are that it works well outside and you dont have to mess with a cylinder. The manual for the Millermatic 180 shows a flow rate of 20 - 30 CF an hour flow and I see where people say that they set their gauges at 20 and have good results. Divide that number buy the size of your bottle and that should be a good idea of how long the bottle should last. ( an 80 CF bottle @ 20 an hour = 4 hours welding time) I think I read that the miller has a solenoid in it so I'd guess that it only uses gas when you pull the trigger.

At my work all we run is miller, i learned to weld on several different brands including lincon but the miller seems to run nicer, but on the 220v models we have they all have preflows that you can program in it. If you want to skip on the gas bottles and the headache that can come with them give flux core a shot it can do most of the stuff that people are looking for in wire fed welding.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my little 110V Lincoln busy the last couple of nights making some mounting brackets for antique iron gates. I was on a kick to add gas to the Lincoln but decided to use the flux wire I had already. The results have been just fine, a little dirty as stated but the welds are strong. They aren't pretty yet but that isn't the welder/type of wire's fault. For the amount of welding I will do the flux wire will be just fine.

What I have found is that the tools I have to cut steel need an upgrade.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is my understanding...
Flux wire welding is not nearly as good looking or controllable of a weld as the gas counterpart. It's advantages are that it works well outside and you dont have to mess with a cylinder. The manual for the Millermatic 180 shows a flow rate of 20 - 30 CF an hour flow and I see where people say that they set their gauges at 20 and have good results. Divide that number buy the size of your bottle and that should be a good idea of how long the bottle should last. ( an 80 CF bottle @ 20 an hour = 4 hours welding time) I think I read that the miller has a solenoid in it so I'd guess that it only uses gas when you pull the trigger.

Thanks. I asked the "how long does it last" question of a couple welder friends, and their answers were pretty much the same as yours. They also added that I should get the biggest cylinder practical for my needs, as it's cheaper per cf to fill a larger tank than a smaller one.

As for flux core welding and the results of that, yes - spatter is more common with flux core than with gas. But the results, while not as pretty, can still be quite strong and solid. I used flux core to weld up my metal-working table, and at one point, I made a mistake with the alignment of a leg. I couldn't break the two welds I'd made at that point, even with a 4-lb sledgehammer; I ended up having to grind away the welds. Would I use flux core for critical, life-dependent applications? Maybe not, and certainly not with my current level of expertise :D

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you need to dice up some steel let me know. You can come over and use my plasma cutter

I've had my little 110V Lincoln busy the last couple of nights making some mounting brackets for antique iron gates. I was on a kick to add gas to the Lincoln but decided to use the flux wire I had already. The results have been just fine, a little dirty as stated but the welds are strong. They aren't pretty yet but that isn't the welder/type of wire's fault. For the amount of welding I will do the flux wire will be just fine.

What I have found is that the tools I have to cut steel need an upgrade.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you need to dice up some steel let me know. You can come over and use my plasma cutter

Sweet,,,,

Most is just cutoff work, the air cutoff tool takes along time to spin through 3/8" x 2" strap. I ordered an Evolution dry cut saw yesterday, seems to be a good deal for occasional hackers like me....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet,,,,

Most is just cutoff work, the air cutoff tool takes along time to spin through 3/8" x 2" strap. I ordered an Evolution dry cut saw yesterday, seems to be a good deal for occasional hackers like me....

Why not a chop saw? I picked up a Dewalt chop saw the other day, and it makes short work of up to 4" square steel tube.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not a chop saw? I picked up a Dewalt chop saw the other day, and it makes short work of up to 4" square steel tube.

Less mess, less noise, better cuts/ready to weld, will cut 4 3/4" x 7".

Blades are pricey($40) but last a long time if you are careful.

My Dad has a HF abrasive saw that I hate using.

Check out "Evolution Fury"....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out "Evolution Fury"....

Hmm, looks like a sliding miter saw. I have a Kobalt version, and I prefer the Dewalt for metal. I haven't tried a metal-cutting blade vs. an abrasive wheel on the Kobalt, but the metal being cut heats up enough that it melts the plastic insert underneath.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom