Miller mig welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a couple of new questions.

What is everyone using for welding gloves? I got a cheap pair, they have worked well but have now split at a knuckle, really wakes you up when you get some sparks inside....

I'm doing enough welding that I getting tired of the mess from the flux core wire so I am thinking about a tank. Where is the best place in Tulsa to acquire a tank, and what should I look out for? I know I am looking for 75/25.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm already on my second pair of welding gloves, thanks to a young dog with an appetite for leather. The first pair wasn't even broken in! I just picked up a pair of cheap blue gloves on sale at Steve's Wholesale, and they've held up just fine so far. As for the welding tank - boy, how fast you change your mind in the space of a couple weeks :P Try Airgas, just off the BA Expressway on Kenosha in BA. They have a bunch of different size tanks, and will help you out with filling them. You can lease them, or buy them outright and just swap for a full tank as needed. The latter makes more sense if you're not using much gas.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm already on my second pair of welding gloves, thanks to a young dog with an appetite for leather. The first pair wasn't even broken in! I just picked up a pair of cheap blue gloves on sale at Steve's Wholesale, and they've held up just fine so far. As for the welding tank - boy, how fast you change your mind in the space of a couple weeks :P Try Airgas, just off the BA Expressway on Kenosha in BA. They have a bunch of different size tanks, and will help you out with filling them. You can lease them, or buy them outright and just swap for a full tank as needed. The latter makes more sense if you're not using much gas.

The flux core works great and is easy, but man the mess is getting old. I was helping a friend yesterday with a Honda CT70 project, we had to modify the brake pedal to clear the 125cc motor he stuck in it. The welds were good and solid, and actually looked decent except for the crap from the flux core. Made me aware the tank isn't so bad after all....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flux core works great and is easy, but man the mess is getting old. I was helping a friend yesterday with a Honda CT70 project, we had to modify the brake pedal to clear the 125cc motor he stuck in it. The welds were good and solid, and actually looked decent except for the crap from the flux core. Made me aware the tank isn't so bad after all....

Are you talking about the spatter? If so, did you try spraying the two parts being welded with Pam or something similar? It helps keep the spatter from sticking.

What I'm having trouble with now is burn-through. I've really had to dial down my Miller 220V welder when welding up anything thinner than 1/8" steel, otherwise I end up with less metal around the welds than before. Even at the lowest settings, I still have to move fast through the weld, and it ends up looking sloppy. ETA: I know that using gas rather than flux core helps tremendously when welding thin metal. Still, it's a challenge! :)

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm doing enough welding that I getting tired of the mess from the flux core wire so I am thinking about a tank. Where is the best place in Tulsa to acquire a tank, and what should I look out for? I know I am looking for 75/25.

I purchased two K size (200 cf) bottles from Alloy (1717 Hwy 97 North, Sapulpa, OK 74066 | Phone: 918-227-3085) a few years back. They were one of the only companies that would sell that size bottle and they were the least expensive on top of that. It was worth the drive for me.

I currently buy my gases from Fullerton between Claremore and Inola on Highway 88. ((918) 341-8264 - 25318 S Highway 88, Inola, OK)

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a couple of new questions.

What is everyone using for welding gloves? I got a cheap pair, they have worked well but have now split at a knuckle, really wakes you up when you get some sparks inside....

As far as gloves are concerned I bought a very cheap set from Harbor freight but haven't really used them all that much Next time I'll order a nicer set from Eastwood.
The cheapest place in town to get a filled tank is Willbanks. That said, The airgas on N. peoria was where I got mine and they matched the price ( but I had to ask). I opted for the 150 size since the initial purchase was not much more, I could go a lot longer between fills, and the cost to fill is very close to the cost of filling a smaller bottle. If you get a used bottle be careful not to get one that needs tested as that could add another 20 o 40 dollars to the cost of swapping it out or filling the next time. Also, Welding stores ( and even between employees of the same company) are all over the place on weather they will fill swap a tank that has someone else name on the ring. If you want to try it before you buy you are welcome to come grab mine

I've really had to dial down my Miller 220V welder when welding up anything thinner than 1/8" steel, otherwise I end up with less metal around the welds than before. Even at the lowest settings, I still have to move fast through the weld, and it ends up looking sloppy. ETA: I know that using gas rather than flux core helps tremendously when welding thin metal. Still, it's a challenge! :)

What size wire are you using? If you have a piece of flat copper bar you could try putting it behind the weld It wont stick to it and it keeps you from pushing through.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What size wire are you using? If you have a piece of flat copper bar you could try putting it behind the weld It wont stick to it and it keeps you from pushing through.

I was using 0.030, but I'll have to try that trick with the copper bar... after I find some :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
22 years in machinefab/weld shops to start with.
Two different companies.
In both they had Lincons, and finally went with Millers. The poriosity problems in both shops went away.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try some .25 wire for the thinner stuff. If you want to try the copper bar trick let me know and ill try to round you up a small piece

Latest posts

Top Bottom