Mini 14 magazine issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Simple trick to try, Tap the back side of the mag against your steel pot toe make sure the rounds are all the way back in the mag.
I always tap the back side of my mags. I learned that in the service in an attempt to make the piece of crap M16 work.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with pro mags is that they are pro mags.
Exactly! Never trust your LIFE to a Pro Mag. I remember during the Clinton Gun and Mag Ban Pro Mag showed up with mags that were pure garbage. Quality control has always been their problem. Still is! People who have purchased Pro Mag and had no problems were lucky because they were made on a good day when the company had their **** together.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly! Never trust your LIFE to a Pro Mag. I remember during the Clinton Gun and Mag Ban Pro Mag showed up with mags that were pure garbage. Quality control has always been their problem. Still is! People who have purchased Pro Mag and had no problems were lucky because they were made on a good day when the company had their **** together.
Must be why they have a lifetime warranty on them.

The way you guys feel about ProMags is the same way myself and many others feel about the AR platform, and for the same reasons. Honestly using Promags in an AK I had less issues then I did with the M-16a1 and in the M-1 carbine I had no more then the supposedly new surplus steel mags I had. Admittedly it was a Universal brand carbine so it may have been the carbines fault but you would expect more problem if the mags sucked.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the same, Rick. ProMag has always made a substandard product. That's never changed. Sure...they Forrest Gump their way into making one that works here and there. But overall, their product sucks.

The M16 had growing pains, no doubt. But many of those issues were unrelated to the actual gun. Once the issues were ironed out...which was pretty early on...the M16/AR rifles have turned into what could arguably be the best combat rifle for general issue on the planet.

I get you don't like them and that's fine. There are guns out there that most everyone else just loves that I wouldn't own because of one reason or another. HK handguns, for example. I'll never own one. But not because of their quality. So let's be honest... There's a reason the AR is far and away the most popular rifle in this country. And that's not because it doesn't work. For a long time the AR family of rifles has been one of the most reliable semi-auto rifles of all time. I've owned countless AK platform rifles in the past and own a NDS AK74 now. It's a well-built gun. But it can't hold a candle to any of my Colt ARs in terms of ergonomics, accuracy and the ability to customize it.

And with prices now... Pay $500-ish for a basic PSA AR or $800 - $1000 for a generic AK? I'll take the AR every single time.

If it was up to me I'd sell the NDS AK I have in the safe and the 1000 rounds of ammo we have for it. But my son-in-law gave it to his mom so it's got sentimental value to her. It's taking up space a good gun could occupy in the safe.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. At the ENS I had loaded a lot more rounds than the three I did here. After firing a few rounds you could look into the mag and see the rounds were not even being pushed to the top and they were nose pointed at a down angle.
I’d say throw the plastic mags away. Garbage. They are going to be nothing but a headache. And the way they lock in the front the little hole in the front of the mag is going to egg out or break there. You shouldn’t have issues with the factory mag. Just get some more oem Ruger mags.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the same, Rick. ProMag has always made a substandard product. That's never changed. Sure...they Forrest Gump their way into making one that works here and there. But overall, their product sucks.

The M16 had growing pains, no doubt. But many of those issues were unrelated to the actual gun. Once the issues were ironed out...which was pretty early on...the M16/AR rifles have turned into what could arguably be the best combat rifle for general issue on the planet.

I get you don't like them and that's fine. There are guns out there that most everyone else just loves that I wouldn't own because of one reason or another. HK handguns, for example. I'll never own one. But not because of their quality. So let's be honest... There's a reason the AR is far and away the most popular rifle in this country. And that's not because it doesn't work. For a long time the AR family of rifles has been one of the most reliable semi-auto rifles of all time. I've owned countless AK platform rifles in the past and own a NDS AK74 now. It's a well-built gun. But it can't hold a candle to any of my Colt ARs in terms of ergonomics, accuracy and the ability to customize it.

And with prices now... Pay $500-ish for a basic PSA AR or $800 - $1000 for a generic AK? I'll take the AR every single time.

If it was up to me I'd sell the NDS AK I have in the safe and the 1000 rounds of ammo we have for it. But my son-in-law gave it to his mom so it's got sentimental value to her. It's taking up space a good gun could occupy in the safe.
And if I had an AR I would more than willing trade you it for the AK. I have more faith in a 10/22 in a combat situation then I do an AR. I get that some people love them but to me it is just an adult tinker toy which seems to be borne out by the number of "custom" ARs I see for sale every single day.
Like I said, I have had good results with ProMags in AKs and an M-1 Carbine. I will give them a fair shake in my Mini 14 then decide for myself. The few rounds I fired at my buddies and at the ENS led me to believe the mags and ammo combo plus maybe some issues with the 14 are to blame. I will test it and post my results.

Oh I should also mention the number of rounds of 223/5.56 with lite primer strikes I have picked up after AR matches does not help the AR argument.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d say throw the plastic mags away. Garbage. They are going to be nothing but a headache. And the way they lock in the front the little hole in the front of the mag is going to egg out or break there. You shouldn’t have issues with the factory mag. Just get some more oem Ruger mags.
Great, soon as I get rich I will run right out and do that.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And if I had an AR I would more than willing trade you it for the AK. I have more faith in a 10/22 in a combat situation then I do an AR. I get that some people love them but to me it is just an adult tinker toy which seems to be borne out by the number of "custom" ARs I see for sale every single day.
Like I said, I have had good results with ProMags in AKs and an M-1 Carbine. I will give them a fair shake in my Mini 14 then decide for myself. The few rounds I fired at my buddies and at the ENS led me to believe the mags and ammo combo plus maybe some issues with the 14 are to blame. I will test it and post my results.

Oh I should also mention the number of rounds of 223/5.56 with lite primer strikes I have picked up after AR matches does not help the AR argument.
I’d bet that the match AR guns don’t have factory springs or triggers for the most part. People altering springs or the fcg to make things faster and lighter. Lots of issues there. I’d say a good portion would be operator induced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom