Mini 14 magazine issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that with 5.56 ammo, some have called the Mini14 over gassed because it slings brass a long ways.

Somebody (don't remember who) used to make different sized bushings that could be installed inside the Mini 14 gas block (correct words??).
You unscrewed the Allen screws and put the bushing in there, then tightened screws down to ?????? inch-pounds or something (correct amount) and it won't throw the brass so far.

okie ruger shooter

Don't look for no trouble don't receive no trouble
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to start another thread instead of keeping it off topic in the beehive round thread. Anyway, as I mentioned I think the problem with ProMags Mini 14 mags is the thickness of the front and back walls are causing drag problems with longer rounds. I loaded a factory and a ProMag with three rounds of the same 55 gr Sierra Ballistic tips. If you look very close at the photo you can see more space between the front of the rounds in the Ruger mag. In the ProMag you can not even slip a thin sheet of spiral notebook paper between the nose of the bullet and front of the magazine.

I also have the feeling the Mini 14 GB is designed to function correctly with the higher pressure 5.56 round and not the 223 round. That will be my next experiment.

View attachment 282014
main problem with pro mags in a mini 14 is the feed lips are cut back too far and will not hold the rounds flat to reliably feed. The steel pro mags can be made to run decent if you use Ruger followers in them.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was at the Eat N Shoot I tried a few of the ballistic tip the rounds seemed to drag and would not feed reliably. The nose of the round seemed to be down. Before that I had fired a few rounds at a buddies house and the ProMags feed them all perfectly. They were shorter 5.56 rounds.

At the ENS the Mini also would not eject all the time and once would not even fire the round. This coming week when it cools down a bit, I am taking it to the gun club and testing it again. This time I will take both a Ruger mag and some ProMags. Some 223 and 5.56. I will see what works and what does not.
Is it possible that the hang up is happening where the ballistic tip meets the copper? Maybe that 90 degree angle on the magazine is catching that point, on the bullet where the tip meets up with the copper

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible that the hang up is happening where the ballistic tip meets the copper? Maybe that 90 degree angle on the magazine is catching that point, on the bullet where the tip meets up with the copper
No. At the ENS I had loaded a lot more rounds than the three I did here. After firing a few rounds you could look into the mag and see the rounds were not even being pushed to the top and they were nose pointed at a down angle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom