Mini-14 Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although it uses the same ammo, has the same rate of fire, and can uses magazines with the same capacity as an AR-15, it's not on the most recent "list"of proposed weapons to be banned.
We have Bill Ruger to thank the term high capacity mag. He pretty much coined it and worked with the Clintons on the first assault weapon ban in 94. Helped prevent his top selling rifle from getting on the ban list. More to it but time makes it blurry and me forgetful.

Makes me mad when I think about it and the selling out because I like Ruger firearms.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have Bill Ruger to thank the term high capacity mag. He pretty much coined it and worked with the Clintons on the first assault weapon ban in 94. Helped prevent his top selling rifle from getting on the ban list. More to it but time makes it blurry and me forgetful.

Makes me mad when I think about it and the selling out because I like Ruger firearms.
Bill Ruger is long gone now. I think his kids saw the light and don't think like that now.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with these. I want a folding stock model, but the older ones are poop for accuracy.
I also dont like that goofy case deflector/op rod cover part.
I still want one though :D

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bill Ruger is long gone now. I think his kids saw the light and don't think like that now.
Maybe. Even after the sunset of the Clinton gun ban they didn't want to sell factory mags over ten rounds for the longest time unless for Leo use. Maybe they only do it now for money purposes. Maybe they saw the light. Maybe they believe in 2nd Amendment rights. Won't know till the next ban

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about picking one of these up.

www.ruger_firearms.com_products_mini14TacticalRifle_images_5819.jpg

No real need for it but they do look cool!

Any thoughts, experiences with it?
I didn't do well with it as I simply couldn't get a good group even from 25 yards or so shooting from a rest. The shots were well-oriented elevation wise, but they were scattered all over the target laterally. I couldn't figure this out as I usually do well with peep sights, then I noticed that the rear sight was moving sideways as I was shooting. I didn't have the right wrench to fix it but I will take the Allen wrench with me next time I shoot it. What probably happened was the techie at the factory did not tighten one screw and this allowed the lateral movement.

About 110 223 rounds went downrange and I used some old South African 5.56 mm surplus and some Norinco from my old dealer's stock. I had some old USA brand 30-round mags and a couple of old 30-round Ramline polymers and the two 20-round factory mags that came with the rifle. Functioning was flawless with all of the mags except there was a few cases when the bolt was slow to return. Perhaps a good idea would be to stick with the factory mags until the rifle is more broken in.

Bump-firing was tried, but no joy. I couldn't get it to function that way. Still, despite the issue with the rear sight it seems to be a robust, well-made rifle.

So, next time I take her out, I take the Allen wrench and a few orange sticky-dots, some of the old Norinco and just the two 20-round factory mags.

BTW, is the propellent powder ammonia based? It sure smells like it. It stinks.

All-in-all, I think it will be a good rifle once I get that rear sight problem taken care of. And it is a lot of fun.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try some light-duty Loc-Tite on the rear sight screw once everything is adjusted properly. In my experience, they will shoot loose rather quickly. Stick with Ruger mags for all serious use; the others can be good range mags, but that would be all I'd use them for. The Mini is a rugged, reliable little carbine, fun to shoot, easy to maintain and cheap to feed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom