Mini-14 Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had several mini-14s. They were very reliable as long as you used Ruger manufactured magazines which were expensive. I wish I still had the GB models with the folding stocks.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M-16 was designed around disposable magazines. The Mini-14 was not. Mag springs are easy to change.
All military weapon magazines fall in the "expendable" category. That doesn't mean they were made to be thrown away. I doubt that Ruger magazines from the same year as a StanAg 20 or 30 rounder was any better. StanAg magazines were VERY good new and had good life to them. THe military supply system however, often overlooked replacing over used magazines

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THe military supply system however, often overlooked replacing over used magazines

Exactly. Buddy's son was in the sand box and they had multiple mag failures.
He personally send several dozen Pmags to his son to replace the defective mags.
Pmags used to be in the military acquisition system and got deleted.
We had a thread about why years ago, but I don't remember why the military did that. Had to be a brother in law thing.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
AR magazines are cheaper than others like the Mini, for the same reason 5.56 MM is cheaper than .243 Winchester. It's a military produced weapon and round. AR / M-16 magazines are produced by the millions. Both in plastic by military contractors like Mag-Pul, and in U.S.G.I. Aluminum models, that are produced by literally dozens of different manufacturers. Naturally they're going to be cheaper than ANYTHING made for just the civilian market which is much smaller.

It's the same reason you can buy surplus .50 BMG ammo for $2.50 a round. But much less powerful .416 Rigby ammo can run over $200.00 for a box of twenty. Volume assures lower cost per unit. And no one uses as much volume as the U.S. military.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All military weapon magazines fall in the "expendable" category. That doesn't mean they were made to be thrown away. I doubt that Ruger magazines from the same year as a StanAg 20 or 30 rounder was any better. StanAg magazines were VERY good new and had good life to them. THe military supply system however, often overlooked replacing over used magazines
I was wrong about the M-16. Stoner's original AR design, the AR-10 in 7.62 x 51mm, was designed around 20 round aluminum mags that were to be discarded when empty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom