Minimum Wage in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of kids just don't need jobs because their parents can bankroll them. The kids have so many extra curricular activities, it makes scheduling a part time job difficult.
I had lots of extra curricular activities in high school. McDonalds on weeknights and Shakey‘s Pizza Parlor on weekends making $1.35 an hour. And until I saved up enough money to buy a car I walked to get there.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had lots of extra curricular activities in high school. McDonalds on weeknights and Shakey‘s Pizza Parlor on weekends making $1.35 an hour. And until I saved up enough money to buy a car I walked to get there.
Exactly. You needed a job. No one is serving you fast food for fun. They have jobs because they need the money. The percentage of kids that don't need a job to get the money has greatly increased since minimum wage was $1.35. And seeing the cars in the parking lot at my son's school, these kids aren't suffering.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There hasn't been a reduction in the workforce as much as there's been a reduction in economically unsound businesses that are propped up by PPP loans.

America has been running on a bunch of make-work ******** for decades now. Let reality come back. Wages, manufacturing, localism, etc. will come with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the brain dead Biden’s administration’s indroctin
Exactly. You needed a job. No one is serving you fast food for fun. They have jobs because they need the money. The percentage of kids that don't need a job to get the money has greatly increased since minimum wage was $1.35. And seeing the cars in the parking lot at my son's school, these kids aren't suffering.
We had kids in Hs driving L-88 corvettes in my HS years. A lot of others were suffering financially but they survived.
I was in the suffering financially crowd and didn’t know it.
We lived within our means and had a great time
I think you live within you’re means and accept the results as life, you know no difference.
wife’s friend has champagne dreams and a beer budget job.
must be miserable to live under those circumstances.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the brain dead Biden’s administration’s indroctin

We had kids in Hs driving L-88 corvettes in my HS years. A lot of others were suffering financially but they survived.
I was in the suffering financially crowd and didn’t know it.
We lived within our means and had a great time
I think you live within you’re means and accept the results as life, you know no difference.
wife’s friend has champagne dreams and a beer budget job.
must be miserable to live under those circumstances.

I must have been in the same category as you. I got my first car in 1962, and it was a 1954 Ford "plain-jane" with a six cylinder and column shift. I was happy to have that vehicle because for two years prior, I rode to the fields to run a tractor on a motor scooter. That Ford cost me $150 and then we had to replace second gear in the transmission.

I'm amused to read of others talking about their various automobiles. One even mentioned having either 3 or 4 vehicles. The wife and I have a sum total of two, one of which is pretty much relegated to the job of pulling a big fifth wheel RV. The other is sizable, but still economical enough for us, and it can really haul cargo or luggage for 3 or 4 people on a fairly long trip.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum wage in OK is $7.25. AAFES/BK on post are offering $15 per hour to start. Micky Dees off post is offering $11 per hour. Mike's Bar and Grill in Lawton is closing because they can't get enough help. The stimulus money has stopped. Why can't these businesses find help? (Not including the homeless/teethless that apply.) I can't remember the last time businesses were so desperate for workers. Also, this will drive up prices for those of us that are working. Using the BK app, I could get a Whopper meal for $5, it is now $6. Not going to kill me, but this is just a sign. Also, don't get me started on gas prices. $3.20 on post. (Cheap compared to other states/cities) No paper plates at the commissary Friday. Thank GOD I'm a prepper (sort of), I'm not curled up in a corner, but this is the first time I've been even slightly concerned.
A whopper going from $5.00 to $6.00 is a 20% increase! If a new car, or house, had a 20% increase in a short time. which they have, that is out of control inflation! Biden on his very first day in office cancelled all of President Trumps policies, and executive orders, that ALLOWED us to be energy self-safficient for the first time in 50 years, under both parties leadership, RIGHT? That gave the POWER BACK TO OPEC TO SET WORLD CRUDE OIL PRICES!! Bench mark Crude Oil was $32.00 bbl, on election day 2020, and had been stable for three years, REMEMBER? Today Bench Mark Crude is $109.00. bbl!!!!! This effects EVERYTHING ELSE WE BUY, EVERYTHING THAT IS MADE USING PETROLEUM PRODUCTS, AND THAT IS TRANSPORTED USING FUEL, WHICH IS EVERYTHING! If YOU voted for Biden, or were too lazy to vote at all, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU WHINE, ABOUT WHAT YOU CAUSED! Bench mark crude will be back to $16 5.00 bbl AGAIN, by this summer, and it wouldn't surprise me if it went to $200.00 bbl! THE COST OF SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT, OR AN EXCUSE TO FOOL THE PEOPLE INTO GOING ALONG?

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retired and am 70 years old,,,
When my car was totaled last October (hit a deer),,,
I bought a new car and decided to get a part-time job to pay for it.

It took one afternoon and three applications to get hired,,,
Yet I know much younger people who say they can't find a job doing anything.

Is it they have unreasonable expectations?,,,
Or is that they are really just to used to unemployment benefits to really try?

I have no answer to this dilemma,,,
I just know that three business owners I am acquainted with,,,
Tell me that the only people who are applying are not up to any standard desired quality.

Aarond

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm retired and am 70 years old,,,
When my car was totaled last October (hit a deer),,,
I bought a new car and decided to get a part-time job to pay for it.

It took one afternoon and three applications to get hired,,,
Yet I know much younger people who say they can't find a job doing anything.

Is it they have unreasonable expectations?,,,
Or is that they are really just to used to unemployment benefits to really try?

I have no answer to this dilemma,,,
I just know that three business owners I am acquainted with,,,
Tell me that the only people who are applying are not up to any standard desired quality.

Aarond

Unless things have changed over the years, but it use to be that one was only able to draw unemployment benefits for a limited length of time before they were ended. Thus, if their benefits dry up because of how long they were on unemployment, I wouldn't say that was a reason for them to continue to be unemployed.

Sadly, I don't have any answers either. Wife and I both have been retired since 2014 and have been comfortable in our finances. In 2019, we were steered toward and we took our current Summer jobs doing pavement and road surveys, which has let us pay off everything except our Ford Expedition. And, the wife thinks that could be paid off after this year's Summer job.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
it's just simply easier to make money doing literally ANYTHING except the usual "teen" jobs.

they can do anything online.
they can stream.
they can thrift and resell/arbitrage shop
they can onlyfans
they can deliver food
all these jobs have FAR more earning potential than stocking shelves or flipping burgers. those are 100% dead end jobs that you almost LOSE money if you have to commute. everyone knows this, even teens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom