mishap at the reloading table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should post pics of your safety glasses too, to show how fortunate you were.

Indeed, this cannot be stressed enough. Don't walk up to that table (or really any type of work in the garage at all) without safety glasses.

And while we are on the subject, take the time for safety. I had car with a broken radio antenna on it. It stuck up vertically about 1" with a broken bent tip on the end, but very sharp. I let this fester for years, foolishly until one day I was working near it and fell and came about 2" from having it take out my eye. Also no safety glasses. The point I'm making here is DON'T BE LAZY WITH SAFETY for yourself or others. Be smart. If something is unsafe, deal with it because the regret of not doing so when you or someone else gets injured is going to be horrid. I replaced that antenna that day with a new safe unbroken one.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's always hard to share a mistake or other less-than-perfect experience. There are many people out there that would never dream about sharing something like this. I have to admit I was a little embarrased at first, only because it could have potentially been pretty bad.

I hope someone else can learn from my experience and, at the very least, I can get some people wearing safety glasses.

From what I saw in your pics and what you have posted it was an unfortunate mishap. I can't call it a mistake on your part. I do think that you did good by posting it. Just because you never have a problem doesn't mean it can't happen. I wear safety glasses as prescription glasses and I keep safety glasses at my bench if some one else is nearby.

Thanks for being open about it.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About primers, yes, some reloading tool manufacturers advise against Federal. Supposedly due to soft cups. Personal experience, after tens of thousands of rounds the only mishap at the bench has been a Federal Large Pistol detonate in an RCBS hand priming tool. Yeah, I don't use Federal anymore.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About primers, yes, some reloading tool manufacturers advise against Federal. Supposedly due to soft cups. Personal experience, after tens of thousands of rounds the only mishap at the bench has been a Federal Large Pistol detonate in an RCBS hand priming tool. Yeah, I don't use Federal anymore.

have never heard of a primer going off when using an RCBS hand priming tool .. which is my favorite priming tool.
got a Dillion 550 but prefer single stage Rock Chucker.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Dang Victor! I missed this thread until now. So glad you are OK. I've had a primer go off before while loading pistol and shotgun, scares the living you know what outof a guy. I'll agree with CY on this one, I do almost all of my priming with a hand primer at the coffee table now. Takes a little longer but I find it gets me away from the bench for a little break.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dang Victor! I missed this thread until now. So glad you are OK. I've had a primer go off before while loading pistol and shotgun, scares the living you know what outof a guy. I'll agree with CY on this one, I do almost all of my priming with a hand primer at the coffee table now. Takes a little longer but I find it gets me away from the bench for a little break.

I think this is the direction I'm going to go as well. I've been looking at hand primers the last few days. What do you use and recommend, Darren?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RCBS and Lee hand priming tools

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC03994.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom