Mitsubishi twin stick tranny in a car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suprised that survived being Duffy parts. I've broken better tcases that weren't made of aluminum but maybe you never really wheeled it anyway. šŸ˜‚

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't mack have a transmission like that?
Most big trucks had two or three stick transmissions back in the day. Essentially you had a gear shifter and a range selector. I donā€™t know enough about three sticks to say anything about that. Thatā€™s all been replaced by an air shifted hi/low range.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most big trucks had two or three stick transmissions back in the day. Essentially you had a gear shifter and a range selector. I donā€™t know enough about three sticks to say anything about that. Thatā€™s all been replaced by an air shifted hi/low range.
How far "back in the day" are you referring to?

I was tire man for a trucking company in '74-'75, and all ours (International & White cab-overs) had either 10 or 13 speeds with air buttons. And none of them were new...
:anyone:
___

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could find some pics from a build I did on my old 1990 K5.

I added the 2.72 planetary gear reduction using the factory np241 transfercase planetary gear set between my transmission and an aftermarket Atlas II transfercase.

The setup had a stick for the front gear reduction, and 2 sticks on the Atlas transfercase that controlled the front and rear axle engagement independently. I had a 2.72 or 4.3 to 1 low ranges... And an 11.70 low range with both the planetary reduction and the transfercase shifted to low.

So with the 4 speed transmission, there were what, 16 speeds.

The gear reduction was so low, the disc brakes on the Dana 60 and rear Corporate 14 would not hold the K5 at idle.

I dug up the old post on COK5 when I was building the setup. To bad the pics donā€™t work. That was a long time ago, but seems like yesterday.

https://ck5.com/forums/threads/np241-doubler.204000/
Love the build!
Off the subject of this post, but itā€™s mine so weā€™re taking this thread train off road.
Iā€™m planning on buying a square body and doing a restomod on it. Pretty much touching everything starting from a bare frame up, looking at using a M1008 CUCV or a K30 for the most part, but Iā€™ve also considered a K5. If I completely boxed the frame, added crossmembers, and put in 4 point cage; would it handle a mostly stock 12v Cummins paired with an NV4500? I donā€™t do any crawling, mostly just negotiating crappy roads and logging roads, mild off-road stuff. Iā€™m wanting long term survivability, as this would likely be a truck to pass on to the kids. Would be a do all kinda truck, towing on the occasion as well. Iā€™m always hearing about anything less than a one ton frame cracking and twisting up bad even in stock form with mild off-roading.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How far "back in the day" are you referring to?

I was tire man for a trucking company in '74-'75, and all ours (International & White cab-overs) had either 10 or 13 speeds with air buttons. And none of them were new...
:anyone:
___
I have near zero experience with it, as my mom was a kid back when you were slinging tires. My dad however, was born in 42 and he had told me some stories about driving two and three stick trucks. Iā€™m curious now.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have near zero experience with it, as my mom was a kid back when you were slinging tires. My dad however, was born in 42 and he had told me some stories about driving two and three stick trucks. Iā€™m curious now.
I've heard of more with two shifters than I've seen. Brown-Lipe made most of 'em as I recall.

But they may well have been more prevalent before my time.
:drunk2:
___

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, maybe 2002 or so, I was buying some tires for my Freightliner at that tire place on Macarthur - just north of I-40. I had run over a piece of rebar on a job site, it was muddy, the rebar was vertical, it ruined 2 tires, cost me $600.

Anyway, I was chatting with another customer. He had a custom truck, built for oilfield service work. It had a 9-spd, with a 4-spd range box behind it, and a 2-spd axle.

Those Eaton 9-spd trans (indeed, most of the Eaton heavy trans) have a Hi-Lo reverse.

Dude had 16 gears, just in reverse.

I've had nightmares about driving that truck.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, maybe 2002 or so, I was buying some tires for my Freightliner at that tire place on Macarthur - just north of I-40. I had run over a piece of rebar on a job site, it was muddy, the rebar was vertical, it ruined 2 tires, cost me $600.

Anyway, I was chatting with another customer. He had a custom truck, built for oilfield service work. It had a 9-spd, with a 4-spd range box behind it, and a 2-spd axle.

Those Eaton 9-spd trans (indeed, most of the Eaton heavy trans) have a Hi-Lo reverse.

Dude had 16 gears, just in reverse.

I've had nightmares about driving that truck.
Whatā€™s he hauling?? Fully assembled wind turbines?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatā€™s he hauling?? Fully assembled wind turbines?
I asked him something similar to that, he said he could move anything he could hook to, as long as the tires would stick.

Guy had a PTO Hydraulic pump mounted, and had an enormous winch on the back too. That winch drum was the size of a 55 gallon oil drum. I have no idea what the rig weighed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom