Model 94 Scope Mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad has a Winchester 94 and would like to mount a scope to help with his accuracy at distance, maybe a couple hundred yards. He only plans on target shooting, no hunting or competition or anything. He's 85.
It is an older top eject model and not in terrible condition. While drilling and tapping some holes for a rail to mount a scope is an option, I'd like to lean him toward not modifying the rifle unless he really needs to do it.
I was sent a link to a side mount option.
http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-284-ks-w94.aspx.
This looks like a decent option but I'm not familiar with it, anyone use one of these?
It appears to mount with screw holes already in the receiver but not sure the rifle has holes in the correct position. I've attached pics of the rifle.
Any suggestions/input is appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 30-30 Side1.jpg
    30-30 Side1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 30-30 Side2.jpg
    30-30 Side2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 30-30 Top.jpg
    30-30 Top.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 217

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 94 had one similar to the OP's link. It worked...but I couldnt get it off the gun fast enough.
Fair warning...the finish under the mount was more rusty than the rest of the gun so it appears it would trap moisture underneath it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed on your gun there is not any rear upper mounting holes.
Going to be hard to make any of those scope mounts work.
Drilling may be what you need to do.

But I have used JB weld to attach scope mounts to a Mauser with no drilling involved.
The blueing took a hit as i lightly sanded it.. But cold blue could bring it back to the condition it was with some prep.

You may not need to sand it.. just jb weld it.
Without the upper holes towards the rear all you have is the one hole in the front. You could fab a mount and use some of those lower holes but i would still probably Epoxy the upper part.

I have the upper rear holes on my 94 and Love the scope and mount I have ..and my buddy has a different one and he loves it with a scope also.
I do not have a rust issue under the mount and my mount has been used since 1974.
And that gun has seen many rain storms and dirt drops and plunked on rocks.. looks well beat and it holds zero.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first deer rifle was a model 94 top eject .30-.30. I loved that rifle and did eventually put a side mount scope on it when dad decided I was proficient enough with open sights that it was OK to use a scope. (My dad was of the opinion you need to learn the basics before you started "cheating".)

I had no issues with it other than the fact that the ejected brass would hit the windage adjustment cover and ding the brass. Didn't reload so that wasn't an issue with the spent brass but had to be careful when ejecting loaded round to clear the gun.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom