Modernized Scout Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone into scout style rifles?
If you were going to "build" or assemble you one from an existing rifle what would be your go to?
I'm going to mess around with a sig cross in .308, not going to be exactly true to Col. Coopers specs, and it'll probably be gaudy as a pimps 77 Coup Deville. It's 2022 and identity is up to the identifier right?
Drawbacks I have already identified-
1- AICS mags are expensive, Ar10 pattern would have possibly been better for SIG to use but we all know SIG hates their customers.
2- Stock doesnt fold to the left, therefore you cannot actuate the bolt in the folded position.
3- Sling mounting leaves alot to desired.
4- Adding the buis and getting the front sight height to work with the rear is going to be slightly tricky.
Please leave you comments and opinions.
With post pics as Frankenscout is pieced together.
****And yes I did have this rifle listed but decided to go down this here rabbit hole with it******

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally would go for the Ruger American ranch platform. The 762x39 meets the midrange caliber requirement, it’s light, accurate, and takes box mags. You can buy a scout rail with iron sights built on to it for the rifle, and then mount a scout scope. I think skinner makes the scout rail for it. Mine is just wearing a primary arms LVPO with the x39/300bo bdc reticule at the moment.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally would go for the Ruger American ranch platform. The 762x39 meets the midrange caliber requirement, it’s light, accurate, and takes box mags. You can buy a scout rail with iron sights built on to it for the rifle, and then mount a scout scope. I think skinner makes the scout rail for it. Mine is just wearing a primary arms LVPO with the x39/300bo bdc reticule at the moment.
I have kicked tires on a few different Ruger American models. They seem like great rifles( I don't believe Ruger and Junk has ever been used together). I have 3 buddies that own different models and they are quite fond of them.
I'm going to go ahead and make the claim that for the money Primary Arms is dang near unbeatable.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a Remington Mohawk in 308 and add a Burris scout scope mount. Go shoot. Or as pointed out, the Ruger is pretty well done. Remington #7 in 308 can also be made into a fair rendition of a scout rifle as well.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have kicked tires on a few different Ruger American models. They seem like great rifles( I don't believe Ruger and Junk has ever been used together). I have 3 buddies that own different models and they are quite fond of them.
I'm going to go ahead and make the claim that for the money Primary Arms is dang near unbeatable.
They certainly aren’t “fine” firearms, but I think the fit their role as “tools” very very well. Something you can take out and abuse, and not cry on the way home cause you dropped it trying to climb that slippery hill. I think the primary arms optics follow that philosophy. Especially the LVPOs and that dandy little 6x rimfire scope that I own two of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom