Modify what I have, or sell and buy something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I need a lighter rifle. I currently have a Howa 1500 with a 24” heavy barrel. It’s wearing a Bell and Carlson M40 stock. It’s definitely a shooter, with me doing my part it will do .6-.7moa with plain ol 40gr Winchester varmintX factory ammo. I’m sure it can do better, between me practicing more and eventually hand loading when I finally get everything set up.

BUT…. The rifle weighs over 13lbs.

so I thought about it…. Modify an already great shooting rifle, or sell it (I don’t have much use for it outside shooting predators and varmints) and buy a similarly priced, lighter rifle.

I do already have another short action 308 Howa, so both my rifles can share stocks and most parts. That’s a plus for keeping it. I figure the first orders of business is to replace the obnoxiously heavy barrel with something shorter and lighter, and replace the heavy stock. But pricing barrels, I could get a carbon wrapped barrel, chambered and rifled how I want, in the length I want would cost a little over $1000 installed. And I still gotta replace the stock.

or, I could sell the rifle and stock, and use that cash to buy another rifle. My criteria is that it needs to be 18” barrel or less, threaded for when I hopefully get a suppressor, and at least close to as accurate as what I have. I was considering a CZ600, a CZ527, a Winchester XPR stealth SR, or a Ruger American Ranch. None are easy to find right now, the CZ527’s have skyrocketed in price from what I’ve found, and my concern with the Ruger is that it’s chambered in 556, which typically means a further jump into the lands and a very generous amount of freebore, eg typically less accurate.

thoughts? What would you do?

A38C30E1-CF70-4F83-84E4-0F6165D236EF.jpeg

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What will the purpose of the rifle be? When I read "13lbs" my first thought was dang that's light, but I had comp rifles in mind (I added 8lbs of weights to one of mine)...

I think the purpose should drive the decision; if it's for long range precision then keep that sucker heavy; toting around in the woods then I could totally see a carbon wrapped barrel.

Just a heads up, a lot of barrels are hard to find right now with long lead times. If you decide to rebarrel your current action and once you know what you want I'd start calling around to see if you can find anything in stock. If you don't already have a gunsmith in mind, I'd really recommend Jim Paul Brown (Wildcat Precision in Edmond).

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
If you want an Out-of-the-Box sub-MOA gun that you don't want to fool much with, get a Tikka T3X. Tactical or Tactical compact if you want to maintain some kind of tactifoolery or something else if you want more traditional. They have a bunch of options and they are all good. I think it's the best non custom gun you can get for the money and I swear by them. I'd say Bergara is a close second.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah I guess it would help if I specified it’s purpose. It will be a purpose build (or bought) predator rifle. These past 3 days hunting I’m covering an average of 6 miles a day. I would like to do more, with less weight. So lightweight is the key, with the ability to accurately take 2-300 yard shots on coyotes, foxes, and bobcats. Lightweight being 8 pounds or less.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah I guess it would help if I specified it’s purpose. It will be a purpose build (or bought) predator rifle. These past 3 days hunting I’m covering an average of 6 miles a day. I would like to do more, with less weight. So lightweight is the key, with the ability to accurately take 2-300 yard shots on coyotes, foxes, and bobcats. Lightweight being 8 pounds or less.
Are you using any NVD? or plan to? Are you planning on a particular caliber or sticking with 308?

Latest posts

Top Bottom