Modifying braced pistols.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming one goes the NFA route, and assuming everything is done on time, why wouldn't one pick up a Magpul or other AR rear and make it a true SBR?
Cause a standard stock can always be bought later and not leave you open to constructive intent.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
You planning to do this during the 120 days "amnesty"?
Yes, if I decide to do so.
However, I think it's gonna be a mess. If it gets upheld, then the 120 day window will only be good for the fee-less SBR stamp. Where it gets squirrely is the 6 months to two years of approving everything. Per the rule and FAQs, once you submit in the window, keep a copy of the eform1 for validation that you have submitted, otherwise, shooting or transporting it can be construed as an illegal NFA weapon or constructive intent. You'll have thousands of people running around with their new found SBRs and a copy of an Eform1 to CYA while they are approving applications en masse. It'll be chaos.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to go the suppressor route except for the time frame involved. There is no way the form 4’s would be approved by the deadline. I really believe this rule is being pushed by the current administration, not the ATF. This would be an easy way to disarm a large portion of the 2A community. Charge you with a felony, confiscate all your firearms.
Agreed it seems shady. The government never gives up money without a hitch.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The long wait for the suppressor is what made me think of getting a faux suppressor pinned and welded while waiting on the form 4 approval. Then get the real suppressor pinned and welded to the barrel. Of course the suppressor would have to be long enough to make the barrel length 16". Just something I'm thinking about as an alternative to doing the SBR thing and then adding a suppressor anyway.
Not very convenient when you need to repair or clean the suppresser. I’ll just sbr the suppressor hosts, since that was my plan anyway before this.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming one goes the NFA route, and assuming everything is done on time, why wouldn't one pick up a Magpul or other AR rear and make it a true SBR?
The Q&A says you may put a regular rifle stock on it once your Form 1 is approved.
Yes, if I decide to do so.
However, I think it's gonna be a mess. If it gets upheld, then the 120 day window will only be good for the fee-less SBR stamp. Where it gets squirrely is the 6 months to two years of approving everything. Per the rule and FAQs, once you submit in the window, keep a copy of the eform1 for validation that you have submitted, otherwise, shooting or transporting it can be construed as an illegal NFA weapon or constructive intent. You'll have thousands of people running around with their new found SBRs and a copy of an Eform1 to CYA while they are approving applications en masse. It'll be chaos.
Sometimes chaos makes for good cover. Just like waiting to file, I’ll let others parade their eform copies in front of the feds, local LE and range nazi noses first. :)

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The Q&A says you may put a regular rifle stock on it once your Form 1 is approved.

Sometimes chaos makes for good cover. Just like waiting to file, I’ll let others parade their eform copies in front of the feds, local LE and range nazi noses first. :)
If one reads the entire rule (291 pages) one will find that the 120 Day action period is the window for changing your stuff or doing an Eform1. It is not the period for approval. (this is another farce the chikinlittlz say)

They even briefly discuss it and it's in the FAQs. They know the approval time is gonna take awhile but as long as one is in the window on the eform1 you'll be gtg. Go outside that window cause that's your hill? good luck.

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In early 2021 I ordered and received a Wilson Combat AR pistol. Within a few weeks of picking up the pistol at the FFL I was back at the store just looking around. The store owner mentioned that the AAFTvisited the store and told the owner to contact me and demand that I return the pistol and apply to the ATF with NFA paperwork to be able to own the pistol. The store told the ATF they wouldn't do it. Fast forward to last Saturday. I took delivery of a new Wilson upper with a 16 inch barrel and a rifle but stock. There's no way in hell im filling out a Form 1 for this weapon.
Oh. How did the ATF know I bought a pistol?

Latest posts

Top Bottom