MOLES!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mother-in-law had them and stuck whirligigs in the ground and they left and went to the neighbors yard

They work well but they have to be the ones that make clacking sounds. They can't be quiet ones.

I've heard this many times. It's the noise and vibration that run them off.

Personally, the only thing that has ever worked for me was the little 'smoke bomb/gas' cylinders. Find an active tunnel, dig a hole in it just big enough to put the smoke bomb in, light it and cover it up. I had one working along the north side of my driveway and located what seemed to be the two ends of the tunnel. I put a bomb at each end and literally stood there and tamped the soil back down anywhere the gas appeared to be escaping. No more signs of the critter.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tek-1001-EasySet-Eliminator/dp/B000SDKGC6
I use these and have caught 5-6 moles over the last three years. They were recommended by my lawn sprayer. They are very easy to set and when the mole is caught it will pop up so you will know when you get one. Just make sure and poke it down in the middle of one of the trails the mole makes. And don’t touch the parts that go underground as the moles can smell you and won’t go through it. Try and find a trail that is straight for several feet and set it there.

Other than this method I have tried the little spike things that make noise, poison worms and sprays and none of those would work. I have blown several away with my 12 guage though! They will come up to the top of their little mounds to kick the dirt out and if you catch them at the right time you can pick them off. They don’t always make the mounds though.

I also wanted to recommend getting some of that biodegradable stuff to roll out when you lay seed down. I did the same thing to a spot in my back yard. It is sloped and I couldn’t get grass to grow under my big tree so I laid some red fescue and rye mix down and then covered it with the biodegradable material. It keeps the seed from washing away. It worked really well. Now I have that spot all covered with grass. That material will eventually degrade and be gone. The grass will grow up through it. Good luck.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tek-1001-EasySet-Eliminator/dp/B000SDKGC6
I use these and have caught 5-6 moles over the last three years. They were recommended by my lawn sprayer. They are very easy to set and when the mole is caught it will pop up so you will know when you get one. Just make sure and poke it down in the middle of one of the trails the mole makes. And don’t touch the parts that go underground as the moles can smell you and won’t go through it. Try and find a trail that is straight for several feet and set it there.

Other than this method I have tried the little spike things that make noise, poison worms and sprays and none of those would work. I have blown several away with my 12 guage though! They will come up to the top of their little mounds to kick the dirt out and if you catch them at the right time you can pick them off. They don’t always make the mounds though.

I also wanted to recommend getting some of that biodegradable stuff to roll out when you lay seed down. I did the same thing to a spot in my back yard. It is sloped and I couldn’t get grass to grow under my big tree so I laid some red fescue and rye mix down and then covered it with the biodegradable material. It keeps the seed from washing away. It worked really well. Now I have that spot all covered with grass. That material will eventually degrade and be gone. The grass will grow up through it. Good luck.

i use this trap also with great success. the trick is to find a straight place in the run and gently flatten it with your foot. come back in a few hours or the next morning and see if the mole has repaired the section. if he doesnt repair then no need for a trap in that spot. if he does repair then reflatten the same spot and set the trap in the flat spot with a bucket over the trap with a brick on it to block the light. you should have a mole by morning. for gophers i use a small china gasoline engine mounted to an upside down cake pan with the muffler removed and a pipe elbow in its place with a short piece of flex conduit run thhrough a home drilled in the cake pan. dig out a fresh mound find the hole start the engine and set it down over the hole for five min. remove and plug the hole. kills em dead.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! You got any video? [emoji41]

I have some surveillance video but it is grainy B&W nighttime stuff. Found one dead mole carcass and the head of a rabbit in the backyard a day or two ago.

IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0846.JPG

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this at ace hardware it’s called gofer hawk, caught 2 so far this spring, my neighbor has these solar powered noise makers he got at ace and it seems to drive them over to my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve tried everything. My issue is the night crawler worms that call my lawn home.
I’ve used every chemical treatment on earth to kill those snake sized worms to no avail.
Next method will be using my 5 point frog gig that looks like a small trident, walking the tunnels and stabbing every few inches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom