Monkey fists.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The term “slung shot” historically refers to a weight woven into a thin line used to toss a cord from one ship to another, which was then use to pull a heavier line over.
Legal use nowadays is in reference to any weight attached to any cord, designed to be used as a weapon.
Bikers have been know to carry a heavy padlock in the back pocket with a bandanna pulled through it. If a cop approaches, grab one end and pull only the bandanna out of the pocket, and blow your nose.
Need to crack a skull, pull both sides of the bandanna and out comes a cranium crusher at high speed.

Wow, interesting.

Seems to me though that reaching for your back pocket during an altercation in order to produce a homemade weapon is a great way to end up bringing a slung shot to a gunfight.

We actually had commercial "monkey fists" for throwing lines between amphibious vehicles in the water. They definitely help.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, interesting.

Seems to me though that reaching for your back pocket during an altercation in order to produce a homemade weapon is a great way to end up bringing a slung shot to a gunfight.

We actually had commercial "monkey fists" for throwing lines between amphibious vehicles in the water. They definitely help.
As a former avid backpacker I use to carry a 'Monkey Fist' using a golf ball as the center part wrapped in a long section of paracord that I used to sling over a high tree branch to hoist up my pack out of bear/rodent reach. To stay in practice I will still occasionally spend time tossing it over different tree branches. I was never aware that having one in Oklahoma was considered a felony. Guess I'll be a little more discreate about where I play with it now. Thanks for the info. ()

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, interesting.

It was a common thing to carry in an area where they don’t allow weapons.
Padlock in your pocket or on a keychain isn’t a weapon until you are past security and slide the bandanna through the lock.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to make these all the time when I was in Boy Scouts...it makes me laugh to think about a bus-load of little felons rolling down the road to summer camp.

I found out they were illegal when I was studying random statutes during my field training program. My FTO at that time wasn't aware simple possession was a felony, either. Doesn't make sense to me. Some State Senator's third cousin must've got beaned on the playground with one, so they made 'em super duper illegal.

I've found three in the wild during the course of my work, but in two cases I was arresting on a warrant, and both arrestees were cooperating. The last was during a DUI wreck/impound. Nobody got charged for them...I think malum prohibitum crimes are dumb, especially where weapons of any kind are concerned. No harm, no foul. That said, it's a coin flip whether your local guys are aware, and another coin flip whether they care.

It's a shame, 'cause they're useful little things.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made an aspen wood stained walking stick with an 8 ball at the end as a passive weapon in areas where “common” weapons like knives and firearms are not allowed.
Am I legal?
All thread rod running 6” into the staff and threaded into the 8 ball with glue.
Thinking a major headache can be applied if necessary.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made an aspen wood stained walking stick with an 8 ball at the end as a passive weapon in areas where “common” weapons like knives and firearms are not allowed.
Am I legal?
All thread rod running 6” into the staff and threaded into the 8 ball with glue.
Thinking a major headache can be applied if necessary.
Depends on if they consider the added weight othe threaded rod enough to classify it as a “loaded cane”.
A loaded cane is any cane or walking stick with a small section that is weighted (usually with lead) to increase impact force.

I have two bad knees, and require a cane to get around.
A sturdy cane of oak or hickory is a formidable weapon that can be used very effectively with minimal training.

Weight is not always as important as speed.

impact force is calculated as Mass times Velocity squared.
Double the mass, you double the impact force.
Double the velocity, you quadruple the impact force.

Wrists and collar bones break surprisingly easy with a swift cane strike.
The end of the cane concentrates all the force of a strong punch four square inches of fist surface down to the one square inch area of the cane tip. Enough force to break ribs or sternum, or damage internal organs.

I have taken my cane everywhere.
International flights, State and Federal Court, even Police Stations, without anyone saying a word.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone post a picture?
B10A8B5C-213B-4C89-A2CA-CB4C6EA68A8F.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom