Monkey fists.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me though that reaching for your back pocket during an altercation in order to produce a homemade weapon is a great way to end up bringing a slung shot to a gunfight.
If you're close enough to use a lock on a bandana as a skullknocker, you're well inside the other guy's reaction time. From the demos I've seen, a person in reasonably good shape can cover around 20 feet before another person can draw and bring the gun to bear, and that's from an open holster, not from concealment.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're close enough to use a lock on a bandana as a skullknocker, you're well inside the other guy's reaction time. From the demos I've seen, a person in reasonably good shape can cover around 20 feet before another person can draw and bring the gun to bear, and that's from an open holster, not from concealment.

I think the point is that if you're going for your what you have tucked away, the other guy probably will too. Waiting for somebody (who you are in an altercation with) to grab something out if their pocket or waistline is kind of an idiot move...don't you think?

Doesn't matter if it is a knife, a monkey fist, blackjack, gun, or whatever...you let someone inside of spitting distance have the freedom to pull their concealed weapon in front of you uncontested and you just lost the ability to respond without getting stuck or struck first.

Guns aren't talismans that ward off evil just because you wore one that day. But in the hands of a trained individual they are vastly superior to a moronic home-made weapon. I'll let the other guy bring a padlock to a gunfight.

What you are referring to is the old "21 foot rule", and it can apply. There are also multiple ways to work around it like responding when someone who has accosted you is now moving towards you with their hands concealed, creating your own distance etc... We can "what if" 100 different scenarios for days here. Bottom line *for me* is the moment your hands start moving for something, so are mine. I'm not famous, so I know you aren't going to pull a pen out and ask for my autograph.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that in the concealed bandana/lock scenario, it all comes down to surprise (i.e. 'sucker punch'). You know, the guy that nails you when you're distracted or from behind.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made an aspen wood stained walking stick with an 8 ball at the end as a passive weapon in areas where “common” weapons like knives and firearms are not allowed.
Am I legal?
All thread rod running 6” into the staff and threaded into the 8 ball with glue.
Thinking a major headache can be applied if necessary.
Sounds like a real nice shillelagh

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone post a picture?
1628101966306.jpeg

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that in the concealed bandana/lock scenario, it all comes down to surprise (i.e. 'sucker punch'). You know, the guy that nails you when you're distracted or from behind.
BINGO - WE HAVE A WINNER.

It’s a first strike weapon. You don’t remove it from your pocket, get it spinning, the whack someone. The pull goes straight to the target. If you see it it’s because it’s coming straight for your face. If you don’t it’s coming straight for the back of your skull.

Latest posts

Top Bottom