Montana Gold Bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is weight consistency that important for 9mm? I would imagine that inaccuracies from the inherent limitations of handgun accuracy would dwarf any small errors due to bullet weight. I guess you'd care if you were a really good Bullseye shooter, but I thought all those guys used raced-out 1911s in 45.

Two other questions: what was the standard deviation of the bullet weights, and what is the typical standard deviation for different grades of bullets (cheapo FMJ, hunting, match, etc)? I'm looking to get into rifle reloading soon and I'm not too familiar with the landscape (dad only reloaded shotgun shells when I was growing up).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is weight consistency that important for 9mm? I would imagine that inaccuracies from the inherent limitations of handgun accuracy would dwarf any small errors due to bullet weight. I guess you'd care if you were a really good Bullseye shooter, but I thought all those guys used raced-out 1911s in 45.

Not really, but it shows the overall consistency of the bullets they make. The biggest factor on pistol bullet accuracy to me are the shape and concentricity of the bullet heel, which Montana Gold does well.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What OAL are you guys using on the 124gr? I'm using 4.2gr of Titegroup with a 1.13 OAL with the 124gr CMJ.
Thinking about getting some 147gr CMJ's for IDPA, but need to find a good OAL with the flat nose.

I'm loading the 124's with 4.1gr's of Titegroup and a OAL of 1.135" which is what the Speer manual said for the 124gr TMJRN's. I'm getting great groups with that load in both my 5" Beretta 92FS and my 4" XD.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't check for groups, was too busy clearing jams. Evidently Glocks don't like light loads? Mine was a single shot with the rounds I loaded last week. Was loading 5.1 gr HS6 behind the 124gr CMJ 9mm.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Just checked Hodgdon's site, says 6.4 gr starting load for 125gr FMJ, I could swear that my manual at home started at about 5 grains. I'll have to check. That would sure explain the low power.

Funny thing though, is my Sig ate em up.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really, but it shows the overall consistency of the bullets they make. The biggest factor on pistol bullet accuracy to me are the shape and concentricity of the bullet heel, which Montana Gold does well.

How does one measure concentricity?

NikatKimber said:
Funny thing though, is my Sig ate em up.

I'm the only Sig shooter among the guys I normally go to the range with, and any crappy ammo that their guns don't like gets given to me and I have no problems. I think it's a Sig thing.

Either that, or the Sig's metal frame (unless it's a Sig Pro) just gave more mass for the slide to recoil against.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm the only Sig shooter among the guys I normally go to the range with, and any crappy ammo that their guns don't like gets given to me and I have no problems. I think it's a Sig thing.

Either that, or the Sig's metal frame (unless it's a Sig Pro) just gave more mass for the slide to recoil against.

I've got 3k + rounds through my 228 and the only thing that jammed it was a sideways primer :bigeye: I'd call that my fault, since I loaded the round.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does one measure concentricity?

With one of these: http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=728&magid=54

They run about $140 from Sinclair direct. It's not really necessary unless you're a benchrest or extreme long range shooter. Most common bullet designs are known variables if your Googlefu is strong.

Sigs are known for their accuracy due to quality barrels and tight tolerances. A Glock will shoot as well if fitted with a Bar-Sto barrel, target sights and a better trigger (unless we're talking Sig P-210).

Latest posts

Top Bottom