Moonshine!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to make home brew and know some people who still do. I tried to make whiskey once but the stuff tasted terrible. You need to age it in oak barrels
for long time for it to taste good. Moonshine tastes like vodka. So if you like the taste of vodka you'll love moonshine. :D

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a still in Jr high for a science fair project. I had to write the ATF with a description of my plans/project to get permission to make it. They wrote me back giving me the OK to build it as long as i destroyed it or donated it to a school when my experiment was done. My experiment was to see how much ethanol (for fuel purposes) could be made from a household's veggie and fruit scraps.

I saved all the scraps and then threw the (now rotting) scraps into a blender. Next I boiled them (Iirc) and then fermented the sludge in 2liter pop bottles with balloons on top to allow for co2 expansion. It was an extremely stinky process. I can't believe my mother let me do it!

The still was made from a pressure cooker with a candy thermometer in it and a copper tube coming off the steam vent. The copper tube ran into a "thumper" made out of a coffee can that i put ice into. I double distilled the "mash".

My end product was about 20% (40 proof) and smelled like vodka. Considering what it was made from (rotten table scraps) I couldn't ever bring myself to taste it.

I wish I'd kept the letter from the ATF but I think the letter went with the still when I donated it to my school.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About all of the old moonshiners from LeFlore & McCurtain counties have gone on to the big back porch in the sky, but the last time I checked you could still by new charred white oak kegs at the old hardware store in Talihina. I think they have them in two gallon and four or five gallon versions. Really nice kegs!

Cedar Creek

ssgt ben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if you're making (apple pie) and useing everclear, 1 you've already paid the tax o the evercleer, all you're doing is cutting it down so its taste better and putting it in smaller jugs. also not for sale.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a company that makes a really neat distiller from hand blown glass. Its used to make brandy.
Brandy is distilled wine. If you have already bought the wine and paid the tax, its not illegal to make brandy.

Brandy was developed because of ancient mariners that took wine on their trips, only to have it spoil in the high temps in the holds.
Distilling it, made into brandy that would keep for a longer period of time with the 40% alcohol content.

Good brandy requires good wine.

K

Kmarcm

Moonshine can be purchased at your local liquor store, I've got a jar of strawberry 'shine in the freezer right now.

SSSHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHITE LIGHTNINNNN'

Latest posts

Top Bottom