MOOO cows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HA!

EL-Arroyo-AQUILA-Commercial-1.25.19-1024x1024.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WooHoo, blessings are upon us again.. Picked up a bull this morning.. 13 mo Hereford, currently 38" tall so he should be a 00 frame at 3 years possibly 000 but not likely.. I was searching for a lowline bull and prices were a bit more than we could handle and low a behold this guy appears for a bargain.. Oh and he's polled too..

Watch that dude. I don't think I care for the look in his eye...

...seriously though, my experience is that Hereford bulls are some of the least aggressive ones out there with regards to charging humans.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch that dude. I don't think I care for the look in his eye...

...seriously though, my experience is that Hereford bulls are some of the least aggressive ones out there with regards to charging humans.

Did he not wink back at ya ? LOL, It's always wise to keep your eye on livestock that have a pair.. I do look forward to him maturing from this 13 mo bull calf into a 3-4 yo mature bull.. I'll keep this MOOO cow ride updated as stuff happens..

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has started, I think we're for an impressive lil bull..

This calls for a tale of a young black bull. With regards to having a bull for springer heifers, my Father-in-law was always told to buy a "scrubby black bull" to put with his springer Herefords. Well, Father-in-law could NEVER buy anything "scrubby," so he bought a nice Angus bull and we put them with the heifers. That year, we lost a lot of calves and a few of the heifers because the calves came so big. So, Father-in-law sold the bull to my brother-in-law (my sister's husband) and he put them out with his mature cows.

Later on, brother-in-law kept kidding us that we sold him a bum bull because they NEVER saw him "servicing" any of the cows. That next Spring, about 95% of his cows calved some black baldies. When he told me the results, I told him that the bull wasn't dumb. Being a black bull, it was easy to sneak up on the cows in the dark.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss raisin cows...
I don't. Best thing that ever happened was selling off every danged one of them, and wiping my hands clean of the entire cow/calf operation.
Your stuck at home just like a dairy farmer. You have to feed and you have to milk. Twice a day with dairy. No vacations, no sick days, no taking a day at the lake. Good luck finding someone to help out for a week or two to get away.
I'll admit it was a cool gig while working for ranchers when young, but doing the same just didn't work out for me later on when starting my own herd. When that last trucker drove away headed for the sale barn, it was like a new life opened up with all the spare time on top of keeping a full time job that required lots of overtime.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be selling the last of the herd this year. After 20 yrs of cow/calf operation I'm just tired of fooling with them and the haying in the summer.