Moose and elk hunting in North America.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's very hard. It's not for the poor man. It's not for people out of shape. It's not for the lazy. It might even be for the crazy!! It's not for everybody, his dog, his brother and his brother's dog. It's certainly no Saturday walk in the park as it is for a Plains State whitetail doe or buck. Who here has been on a guided moose or elk hunt? Who rode horseback or mule pursuing His Majesty? I've found this fascinating video series by Mr. Gun Blue 490 of New Hampshire. It's worth the while to watch to see how impossible this sport really can be.

PS - If money is no object, can one hunt moose or elk by helicopter? How about riding along in some powered vehicle so as not to die of a heart attack or an asthma attack? On African safari, taking a cruise across the savannah by Land Rover lead by a PH was the thing back in the day.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the most practical way to be carried off one's feet as a human while hunting His Majesty is by horseback or mule. Now that I think about it, using a motorized vehicle of sorts might not even be feasible or legal in the first place. Helicopter hunting trips might be cost-prohibitive for most if even legal anywhere in North America. Certainly hoofed animals can tread terrain no land vehicle dares. I've seen a couple videos where power boats or wheeled swamp buggies were used on moose hunts. Moose tend to be on flatter land and near rivers or other water.

I would like to hear from someone who has succesfully taken North American elk or moose off his feet (at least for the most part), what state, territory or province they were in and what method of transportation was used on the hunt, boots OFF the ground. I'll have to look for a good video series on moose hunting as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom