Morals - Being a Good Samaritan in today's world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you stop and give aid to people on the roadways?

• Total voters

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gave a hitch hiker a ride. He kept wanting me to turn off on county road so he could take a leak. Thats when I saw how much bigger he was than me. Told him there was a gas station 3 miles down the high way . I let him out & have never picked up a hiker since , And I had my hand on gun in side pocket in the door when decided I might be in danger.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gave a hitch hiker a ride. He kept wanting me to turn off on county road so he could take a leak. Thats when I saw how much bigger he was than me. Told him there was a gas station 3 miles down the high way . I let him out & have never picked up a hiker since , And I had my hand on gun in side pocket in the door when decided I might be in danger.
Made the mistake of picking a bum up one time when a buddy and I were out shooting. He rode in the truck's bed and my friend and I rode in the cab. We stopped to let him out after we had tad taken him to where he asked and he wanted us to take him further which would have been too far out of our way and he kept demanding that we take him further, and we almost had to drag him out.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do the grocery shopping and our vehicles are so old we only carry liability insurance so no roadside service. In my pickup I carry jumper cable, air compressor and a medium tool bag. I usually stop and help a couple of people every week. So I don’t think I’ll be getting over myself anytime soon.
You must have made some really bad choices in your life if you can’t afford $30 $40 a year for a road service rider on your insurance. Hope things work out better for in the future.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a guy standing outside of a spare POS **** house on our hunting lease. He said Bob was letting him live in the house and he needed a ride into town which was where I was headed. After he got in he explained that he just got out of prison and Bob was trying to help him get on his feet. Wanted to be let out in front of a bar which I did. As he got out, he asked what day it was. Sunday. Bar was closed. Oops. Long walk back I guess. Only time and never again.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once stopped while in college for a young lady walking down the road from the CW dance place, and offered her a ride. Turned out, she’d had a fight with her bf and he left her at the dance place. She was a hair stylist, and when I dropped her off, she gave me a card from the salon and told me to come in for a free haircut. I did a couple weeks later, and met her friend who I ended up dating for a while. The friend was pretty hot! Just not my cup of tea, but good deeds do often have their rewards ;)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must have made some really bad choices in your life if you can’t afford $30 $40 a year for a road service rider on your insurance. Hope things work out better for in the future.
My feels are so hurt. My gawd! This doesn’t even rank in the top 1000 insults that have been hurled at me. Surely you can do better. And if I see ya broke down on the side of the road I’ll still stop to help ya.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to pickup anybody in need or stop and help anyone who looked like they could use a hand. Then I had one late night experience spiral from a simple phone call, to a jump, to a tow, to driving two very rough individuals into a backwoods dead end with multiple trailer houses without any power, but plenty of signs of life. My now wife was with me, to the point of tears from being afraid of who was in the seat behind her, and my hand was cradling my J frame down at my side the whole time. Two things changed that night: I don’t pick up strangers that aren’t in need of immediate medical attention, and I carry a higher capacity sidearm in my vehicle.

Not long after that encounter I started my now career, and it’s changed my whole viewpoint of who and how much I’m willing to help when I’m not in uniform. Id still stop for who/what I’d consider the innocent: a kid, a dog, a hurt animal; but my list is quite short after that, and I figure somebody is a phone call away on shift earning tax payer dollars to intercede (as I also am on other days).

Latest posts

Top Bottom