Morals - Being a Good Samaritan in today's world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you stop and give aid to people on the roadways?

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is flagging you down on the highway. Do you stop and help?

I was raised to always render aid when I could help someone. That was just understood. To that effect, I have assisted a small handful of people both with and without vehicles on the side of the road before my LEO career. A few times afterward but today's moral standards of other people and possible ambushes give me pause.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The possibility of a bad outcome is not new. Before the Sirloin Stockade robbery and murder the suspects in that case put the female on the side of the road pretending to have car trouble and ambushed/murdered a military couple and their child who stopped to help. That was in the late 1970s I believe.
I do think you're taking more or a risk today first with more distracted drivers on the roads to run you over and second more crazy people running around in society as a whole you're more likely to encounter them anywhere.
I don't know the answer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, I have a family that I still love and care for, and I carry everywhere. I'm also a big fan of risk management.

Everyone has a cell phone and a charger if they need help. Stopping for a wreck is a different story, but I never stop for just someone on the side of the road, there's no need.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone is flagging you down on the highway. Do you stop and help?

I was raised to always render aid when I could help someone. That was just understood. To that effect, I have assisted a small handful of people both with and without vehicles on the side of the road before my LEO career. A few times afterward but today's moral standards of other people and possible ambushes give me pause.

I carry a battery powered impact wrench. I’ll stop if it is a woman alone or with kids and they have a flat tire.

I don’t pick up hitchers anymore. Had one break bad on me. I don’t want to have to kill anyone. Not worth the risk to me. Bus tickets are cheap. They should buy one.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the days before cell phones? Sure. Now, really no reason too. Call it in instead. But if they are within a few miles of a place to walk to? Nope.

Unless you are in an area that it could be dangerous for them. remote Desert, Alaska, etc.... Then it would probably be appropriate and moral and also probably safe.

risk vs reward

Latest posts

Top Bottom