More 7.62x39 Testing, SST vs Varmageddon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went on vacation to Florida last week and had to check out a few gun stores while I was there. I found a pretty good one that had quite a bit of reloading supplies. Ive been wanting to try some different powder than what I have and they had some Reloader 7 and some Accurate LT-30, so I bought both of them. I was able to get about 2400 fps with the Reloader 7 which I am happy with, but not to excited about the 1.5" group. I'm hoping it would have done a little better if the barrel wasn't as hot as it was. Anyway, I will try the LT-30 powder next. Reading a little about it, supposedly it is like the H4198, which I have been unable to find. The book shows it getting the fastest speeds, so I'm hoping the LT-30 will perform similarly.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the alternating target shooting.
Round robin.
In the first video you see where the barrel settled in with the sweet spot in barrel heat and then started to open back up.
I have went as far as to test barrel temp and the differences in group size and it does show on paper.

Looks like you found a decent load in the last video.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the alternating target shooting.
Round robin.
In the first video you see where the barrel settled in with the sweet spot in barrel heat and then started to open back up.
I have went as far as to test barrel temp and the differences in group size and it does show on paper.

Looks like you found a decent load in the last video.

It sounds like you have this reloading thing down to a science! Im trying, but I think I still have a lot to learn. lol

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like you have this reloading thing down to a science! Im trying, but I think I still have a lot to learn. lol

I read a lot and I hear some say this works or this does not work or you can only reload a case so many times.
Or you can't use this powder or that load but I see it printed in books from the 60's
I then set out on my own and do my own testing and I try not to leave many stones unturned.

I just prepped 8 Lapua cases from the same batch.
I measured neck ID and OD after prep and measured Neck Ogive distance from the base and kept 5 of the 8 for target work.

3 that did not make it.
But in reality I can't sit on a tree limb for 2 hours with wind in my face and bugs eating on me
and a swaying tree to see any difference in hits on a critters to really need to prep or sort brass like I do.

But there are those calm days where I lay prone on a sandy spot and get to take a sniper shot.
That is when it pays off.

You will also find some cases may measure the same but they do not act the same no matter what you do.
Start keeping the way out flier cases to the side and when you reload those mark them and see if they are still fliers or if they come into the group.
If you get 2 fliers from that case you may need to expect another flier from it unless you fubared it somehow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom