More bad gun news...Colt downsizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not good at all. I had a few Colts way back when, they seemed to have just outpriced my ability to spend the past 10 years or so. I also think that firms like SA have gotten to them in the 1911 market. The SA RO is now the base gun for many 1911 guys where as before it was a Colt. A true American Icon - Hope they make their way back to us and soon.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't even understand why Colt was relevant anymore. While I certainly wish them well as they are a gun manufacturer, if they can't maintain viability via producing a marketable profitable product, then economically, my opinion is:

i1.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_facebook_000_392_026_21b.jpg

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason Colt has stayed in business this long was because of government contracts, they haven't been competitive in the gun business in 30 years. Nothing new from them, same old guns, kind of like Harley-Davidson. No different then TG&Y, Curtis Mathes, American Motors, all went out of business, got to keep up or fade away. Not picking on Colt, GM should be gone to except for government bailouts. Oh, this is just my opinion. lol PS: Curtis Mathes used to make the best tv in the world, information for the young guns on here. : )

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When they snubbed their noses last year to all the small dealers (like myself), by only selling guns to "stocking dealers", which required a fairly large one-time minimum purchase, then I knew they were evidently executing a desperate "cash-strapped" marketing maneuver that was headed to nowhere good. I could've complied, but simply chose not to, as just the idea of such an arrogant move rubbed me the wrong way. (and, many, many others I have since found out about).

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When they snubbed their noses last year to all the small dealers (like myself)
Kind of what I was getting at in my post. They outpriced the average working man, refused guns to our dealers and just kind of pissed allot of folks off. Some truly beautiful guns in the past, but today there are simply too many quality firearms manufacturers to play high and mighty with all of us. Now I love a series 70 as much as the next guy, but simply cannot justify the cost versus the product quality when several other companies are wanting my business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom