More bad gun news...Colt downsizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Add Remington to that.

Agreed. Although Remington has offered *something* in the last dozen years or so. Since I've been old enough to buy guns, Colt has basically had the product line of "here's what we've had for the last 50-100 years and since it has a pony on the side it'll cost you 50% more than comparable guns anywhere else".

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Although Remington has offered *something* in the last dozen years or so. Since I've been old enough to buy guns, Colt has basically had the product line of "here's what we've had for the last 50-100 years and since it has a pony on the side it'll cost you 50% more than comparable guns anywhere else".
This. Colt has been nothing but a name for years. I won't pay extra for a name.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of what I was getting at in my post. They outpriced the average working man, refused guns to our dealers and just kind of pissed allot of folks off. Some truly beautiful guns in the past, but today there are simply too many quality firearms manufacturers to play high and mighty with all of us. Now I love a series 70 as much as the next guy, but simply cannot justify the cost versus the product quality when several other companies are wanting my business.

My Ruger SR 1911 LW Commander (Series 70 design) is easily a better built gun than any of the three Colts I've owned (all series 80) One Steel Gov't Model, one steel Combat Commander, one a LW Commander. Sad; back in my day, our Armorers at the Precision Weapons Section in Quantico preferred Colt Steel frames to do their re-builds on. Times have sure changed; I think Colt relied on the Pony on the side too much. Besides, the SR1911 is a damn purty pistol.
a5c86baa8ff9417045c788c38e9312d7.jpg
b58d69129654525bccc528e7d15e1250.jpg

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Damn nice gun @druryj, I also agree with @YukonGlocker that Colt appears to have given little to zero effort to remaining relevant in today's market.

I had to choose last month between a Cold Gold Cup National Match for about $1200 new or a Springfield Trophy Match @ about $1035 new. The differences between the two were truly eye opening. Barrel lockup in battery, trigger break, barrel to bushing fit and finish all went to the SA Trophy Match IMO. I ransom rested the SA and @ 50 yards with my reloads it shot 2.34", @ 25 yards it shot 1.16". Less money spent fewer smith charges and truly impressive performance. Colt gave up the ghoast as far as I am concerned.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn nice gun @druryj, I also agree with @YukonGlocker that Colt appears to have given little to zero effort to remaining relevant in today's market.

I had to choose last month between a Cold Gold Cup National Match for about $1200 new or a Springfield Trophy Match @ about $1035 new. The differences between the two were truly eye opening. Barrel lockup in battery, trigger break, barrel to bushing fit and finish all went to the SA Trophy Match IMO. I ransom rested the SA and @ 50 yards with my reloads it shot 2.34", @ 25 yards it shot 1.16". Less money spent fewer smith charges and truly impressive performance. Colt gave up the ghoast as far as I am concerned.

Thank you. All I've done to it is add the custom grips, had a Novak Fiber Optic Front Sight installed, and "polished" the internals by shooting about 1,800 rounds through it so far, with zero glitches of any kind. I changed the recoil and firing pin springs at 1,000 rounds. I'll change them again here in another range trip or two. The trigger is very nice; breaks at 4.0 lbs. last time I tested it with my gauge. The gun is a series 70 design so it's incredibly easy to detail, and it shoots right where I point it. As my brother Jimmy says, "I don't know why this isn't a $1,000 pistol".

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you on that SR1911. Really like those grips!

Thank you. A friend of mine says I am being a "show off" with those grips. Well, maybe I am, but I am damn proud of those three emblems on them that I earned. I got the idea from a guy who had his US Navy Submarine Pin inlaid on a pair of grips for his Combat Commander. He called it his "Submarine Commander" - I though that was pretty cool.

bd79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like my SR 1911. After about 500 rounds and no issues. Best pistol for the money. I would definitely buy another one. Colt really is way too pricey for the working man. It's a shame that they have turned their back on dealers like they have.

If you acknowledge that American society is in decay, it is your obligation to fight to undo it. If you can't acknowledge that American society is in decay, you are providing proof that it is

Latest posts

Top Bottom