1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

More Chickens

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

My brother just built a chickshaw for his chickens. He's planning on merging his two flocks (he has some older ones and a bunch of young 'uns) into the chickshaw, but he needs to get his extra roosters offed first.

Timmy59 likes this.
  2. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

CC, you may want to use this instead of the expanded metal --- lots cheaper and lots lighter...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/27-in-x-8-ft-Steel-Lath-2-5-METAL-LATH/202093395

3. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I done pulled the trigger on 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" #13 expanded metal at $27.50 a sheet. It says it weighs 25lbs a sheet but sure seems much lighter but plenty tough enough to handle the stresses of being moved and the livestock that lives in the pasture rubbing on it.
    https://www.okshooters.com/threads/random-stuff-you-have-made.226595/page-22#post-3228863

4. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    DAMN CW, if ya ever have the need to keep velosoraptors your coop will hold up to them too.. That's Heavy Duty and could become a family heirloom..:hey3:

Cowcatcher likes this.
  6. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Trial and error to find the best and easiest method of keeping while also free ranging.. I think we're at 60 chickens and 5 turkeys..
    22 of the chickens will be freezer bound by mid June..

Cowcatcher likes this.
  7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    As the grass under the tractor dictates, once a week while chicks to everyday as they consume more..

SMS and Cowcatcher like this.
  8. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

He tried turkeys a couple of years ago, but I don't know how successful he was. I think one got too big and just died (he said it was something that just happens with some turkeys), and the local varmints might've gotten one or two.

Timmy59 likes this.
  9. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We plan to keep a pair, and butcher the rest.. Tom turkeys can be quite amusing.. Back in my cowboy days I walked into the barn and a 3yo stud horse was gumming the Toms head, it was a pale blue and you could tell the turkey was enjoying the headjob the horse was giving.. I was amazed as the horse could have easily crushed his skull into bits.. The U.P.S lady driver would sit on her step and spend time making the sucker gobble.. Most any sound was good for a gobble, you could just shout HEY and get a gobble..

kwaynem, blake711 and Cowcatcher like this.
  10. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

I used to have wild turkeys that wandered all over my property. The brood hens would lead a procession of poults down my driveway, between the house and garage. Sitting on the porch and watching them was a great way to kill time.

One time they were roosting in the big trees behind my house when I walked out. It was dark enough and the foliage was dense enough that I couldn't really see them, but I could hear them going FLAP FLAP FLAP THUMP FLAP FLAP FLAP THUMP FLAP FLAP FLAP as they bounced off the trees. It was the damnedest thing I ever heard...

Cowcatcher and Timmy59 like this.