More lunacy from California Lawmakers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it can't be legal to tax someone that is no longer a resident of the state.
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The Feds tax people that are no longer residents of the United States. It's become such a headache that some overseas banks will no longer open accounts for United States expats.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The Feds tax people that are no longer residents of the United States. It's become such a headache that some overseas banks will no longer open accounts for United States expats.
Their premise is that expats still enjoy US protections and services, as well as the ability to vote in US elections by absentee ballot. That sidesteps the taxation without representation issue.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I lived and worked as an Expat for a long time and you actually don't pay taxes on a pretty large chunk of income as long as you are out of the country for 330 days at a time. When I worked overseas it was something to the tune of the first 80k and the figure changes with inflation I do not know what it is now but it can greatly reduce the tax burden of someone who lives and works OCONUS .

As for off shore accounts it depends on the country you are in but most I lived in would give Expats an account they have KYC compliance like US banks do at this point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom