More Old vs New

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not much of a fashionista. I get most of my clothes from WalMart or Tractor Supply. Uncle Sam cut my long hair in 1979 and told me to wear it that way so I do. I find it amazing how so many things that were old-style and that are frequently a target of ridicule from the younger generations are suddenly back in vogue.

The wife and I stopped into Boot Barn in Ada yesterday, mostly because we'd never been in since we moved here. I kinda like a nice pair of boots about every 30 years whether I need 'em or not. I was astounded by some of the women's clothing...

It looked like Austin Powers' closet exploded in their women's clothing section. Had a very funny chat with the nice, not-quite-as-old-as-me lady working there and talking about how things change but eventually come full circle. A young 20-something was looking at some pants with gigantically huge bell-bottoms and commented that she loved the new style. I openly laughed at what she said but she didn't see the humor. I had to explain to her that this trend was hardly new...as a matter of fact it was almost as old as my wife and I are. She actually had no idea people in the 60s and 70s wore "cool" clothes like that.

Things that make you say, "Wow..." These pants look like the upholstery on a Victorian-era wing-back chair and look to be sized for the girl with some serious junk in her trunk.

View attachment 328136
The prints on those pants look like a cheap imitation of saddle leather carving.

1670908694263.png

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sunday evening had to take a trip to WM. If I am just going to be around the house all day I have a few pairs of jeans that have a few holes that do not bother me. I needed a shower, put on some nicer jeans and then while there walked by a rack of $36 jeans that had more holes and freyed spots than the ones I had on earlier that day. Hummm. Guess I am more hip than I realized Yep, had the bell bottoms and owned one liesure suit back in the day. Ha

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the new Wrangler Jeans made in Mexico quickly wore out, i dug out my 50 year old Levi's Made in America and ordered a pair of American Made White Boots.

Attachments

• White Boots and OLD Levis.jpg.JPG
    White Boots and OLD Levis.jpg.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bell bottoms ain't bell bottoms if you can see your shoes/boots/feet.

The trend to casual / comfort around the house is no biggie, to me.
Wearing pj's to Wally is just slovenly.
Jeans with holes, I don't really, but they are NOT DRESS CLOTHES. I work around barb wire and battery acid. I have a couple of "new" go to towns and then, my work jeans.
Going to church, can't you take a shower, at least, and dress with a bit of pride and respect?
A wedding or funeral, OMG, it is just embarrassing. I had mentioned to Mom, several times, how I needed/wanted a new, black, coat for funerals, weddings, dress gatherings. She said, it didn't matter, nobody had respect. Their idea of dress was wearing NEW flip flops.
I bought my black jacket, the day before her funeral.
My son wore my old one, that no longer fit me. His son wore the one that I had before that. RESPECT!

First time on a plane, 12 yo, 1968, had NEW, khaki pants, button up shirt, dress shoes, not tennis. Dad wore a suit and Mom had a dress and her pearls. As did EVERYBODY on the plane.

Papa wore overalls and work boots, 6 days a week. Sunday was dress pants, nice shirt and polished, dress shoes 👞.

Neice got married in August. Couldn't tell if some of the attendees were lost or supposed to be there. Looked like they were headed to Hoochie Momma's or their favorite corner.

A leisure suit would have been welcome.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neice got married in August. Couldn't tell if some of the attendees were lost or supposed to be there. Looked like they were headed to Hoochie Momma's or their favorite corner.

A leisure suit would have been welcome.
I went to a funeral last summer. Even the progeny of the woman that died were wearing inappropriate clothing. Tshirts and raggedy, dirty jeans. At their Mother's funeral.

One woman (wouldn't call her a lady) was wearing a tube top and cutoff shorts. First, she was 30 years too old for that. Secondly, she was showing off her tramp stamp and beer belly.

Disgusting.

I barely knew the deceased, but I at least put on a pair of slacks and a sport coat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom