More stupid pigs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno... I smoke a lot of pork, but I just put some salt, some rub and smoke it. I don't go in a lot for sauces and such, so I don't want to waste a lot of time on it if it's going to be substandard. After all is said and done with the driving, hunting, shooting, hauling, processing, etc., it'll probably end up costing me more.

I really understand you're not going to be able to predict if I will like it or not. Just wondered if it tasted ANYTHING like store-bought at all, as a comparison.

Well, some folks here think those dang ugly-ass pigs taste good; as for me; I'd prefer not to have to eat the nasty thing unless I have too. My last experience with trying to eat sausage from feral pig was not so good, it just sat there in the skillet and burned....there wasn't enough fat to give it some sizzle; just the smell of dead, burning pig.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only ate a couple. The sausage was made by another person that mixed cheap, mostly fat, store bought sausage then added their personal seasonings. You do have to add fat to the ground wild pig. The pork chops reminded me of pork before it became the other white meat. It actually had some flavor, but it does have to be cooked well done.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a big box of wild pig given to me once. Looked fantastic. Lean thick cuts. No matter what I did, grill, fry, broil, it just tasted "musty". The dogs wouldn't even eat it. It was given away and I never heard any feedback.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I smoked a piglet a buddy (OkBassin) gave me a couple years ago, it was amazing, the rest I just leave in the ditch for coyote and critter food. Frankly, I just can't stand processing the disgusting bastards.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yall are crazy. These things are some great groceries.
bp1.jpg
bp2.jpg
bp3.jpg

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all fairness I have eaten, or tried to, deer that was horrible. I've had beef that was not very good as well. Their diet, how quickly they die, process time, and cooking prep are all factors. If you cook them like beef they will be tough. If their adrenaline is going it will be way worse.
A fine tip is, if you kill a boar and intend to process it, cut its nuts off immediately. I know sounds stupid but as soon as you can get your hands on him cut them off.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wild pork like ANY meat has to be processed properly, and I'd bet those that have eaten bad deer or wild pork got some that wasn't cleaned in a timely manner or was somehow mishandled. My pigs like my deer are still twitching when I'm cleaning them, and the meat is IMMEDIATELY chilled. I generally soak in ice water for a week (draining the bloody water and adding ice daily). By the end of this process, the venison is going to be a light gray color, and the pork will be almost completely white.

Personally, I find venison and wild pork to be very bland meat, but I've never had any that "I" killed and cleaned that was "gamey".

Latest posts

Top Bottom