More work on the entry of Taurus PT1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only test I have done is for cast in my HiPoint 45's
I made over 2000 of the good loads for those guns.
They had issues in my friends 45's so I added a crimp with a Lee carbide crimp die.
I did not use that die otherwise.

Next few outings at the range I could not hit my targets well.
Shots were all over the place.
Buddy of mine that shoots way better than I do shot my 45's before and now with the crimped rounds.
He asked what did you do to these guns they shoot horrible.

Yep.. squished the lead too small with the Lee Factory carbide crimp die.
I will not do that again.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check your extractor and magazine catch fit, too. There are a couple of aftermarket magazine catches that raise the height of magazine in the frame which can help feeding.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt Have you (or anyone for that matter, please chime in) had issues with the cast bullet roll crimp vs accuracy you mention, with a Springfield 45 acp?

I have an XD sub-compact 3”, and a few hundred cast RNs and HPs I’m eventually going to load and try. I haven’t tried cast bullets yet, but all the jackets and the coated Berry’s (maybe they were Xtreme) that you gave me once, I’ve had no issues.
I’ve shot a few cast bullets in my 1911’s and never had a problem, but the vast majority of my loading for and shooting with a 45 is with jacketed 230 gr bullets.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I would do is buy a new mag. My 1911 had feeding issues but a new Mec-Gar mag solved them. Feeds fine now