Mossberg Maverick 88

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MacFromOK, don't tell him that. The OLD FOOL still thinks he's a 20 year old Force Recon Marine, and can do it all. I for one ain't helping Mom any more changing his nasty ass diapers. I was surprised, I didn't think I would like the 88 but it ran just fine and kept a tight pattern. It makes a good home defense shotgun. This was suppose to be for Mary (Yea Right), I told him to blow that smoke up someone ele's butt. If it was for Mary, it should have been a 20ga not a 12. Hell he should have gotten a 20ga even if it was for him(20yr Old FR Marine). He's not chasing bad guys, and a 20ga will do all you need it to for Home Defense.

Oh yeah? Well, at least I can still think. Goofy old sumb...:comfort:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good solid choice druryj. I have a friend that has that one and he swears by it. Of course accessories are up to the individual's preferences and can lead to some healthy discussions on the need to have them mounted on shotguns but I think the majority of us would agree there's a certain piece of mind that comes with having a shotgun close at hand in case the need arises.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I actually have the Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" version. For me it was not only the safety location but the fact that I could swap out the plastic for wood. The design on the Maverick fore end is fully molded and can't be changed out. That said, I love the design and capacity

Did they change the design? I had an 88 about 6 years ago and I put model 500 woods stocks on it no problem.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually have the Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" version. For me it was not only the safety location but the fact that I could swap out the plastic for wood. The design on the Maverick fore end is fully molded and can't be changed out. That said, I love the design and capacity

Did they change the design? I had an 88 about 6 years ago and I put model 500 woods stocks on it no problem.

I am not sure; it is my understanding that you can change to wood, but you have to change out a bunch of stuff because of the foreskin thing; probably bring the price up to where I could have just bought a 500 to start with. But I don't plan to change nuthin' all I',m gonna do is shoot it some., keep it clean and oiled and let it sit until the day I hope I don't need it for it's intended purpose. But I am confident that it will put big holes in anything I shoot with it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! A thread about pump action scatterguns? I thought they were out of style these days. I thought they were all replaced with AR-15s.

Being a shotgun lover myself, I gotta tell ya, the 88 Mav is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to shotguns. I had a Mav back in the day. Ran almost as good as my 500. Just don't feed it any 3 inch magnum loads. I'm talking NONE! I probably fired less than a dozen through mine and it locked up the action tight as a drum. Stick with 2 3/4s and you'll be ok.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and it did exactly what you want it to do, for half the price of alot of other shotguns.
Only reason I upgraded is I wanted the Mossberg with the IFL and as noted above, you have to swap a bunch of stuff to add it. I'd add another to my safe if I came across a good used one like what sold in the classifieds earlier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom