Mossberg Maverick 88

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one and it did exactly what you want it to do, for half the price of alot of other shotguns.
Only reason I upgraded is I wanted the Mossberg with the IFL and as noted above, you have to swap a bunch of stuff to add it. I'd add another to my safe if I came across a good used one like what sold in the classifieds earlier.

Yeah, a feller here sent me a PM about that one Montessa had posted for sale...but I had just dropped the cash on a new one a couple days before! That was a heck of a buy, had the light and a side-saddle mounted on it and it was already all rattle-canned up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
MacFromOK, don't tell him that. The OLD FOOL still thinks he's a 20 year old Force Recon Marine, and can do it all. I for one ain't helping Mom any more changing his nasty ass diapers. I was surprised, I didn't think I would like the 88 but it ran just fine and kept a tight pattern. It makes a good home defense shotgun. This was suppose to be for Mary (Yea Right), I told him to blow that smoke up someone ele's butt. If it was for Mary, it should have been a 20ga not a 12. Hell he should have gotten a 20ga even if it was for him(20yr Old FR Marine). He's not chasing bad guys, and a 20ga will do all you need it to for Home Defense.

BUT,But,But 12 gauge is for them Navy sissies not a big ole full growed Jarhead!!:cool:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, not all are like this. But, I don’t know about the RI M5. I didn’t even know they made a shotgun.
Atwoods has (or at least had) 'em in nickel a while back for $180. :anyone:

The reviews I've seen online are pretty good. General consensus seems to be that it's not a show piece, but is a decent, dependable gun for the money.

Apologies for the thread hijack. :drunk2:

Attachments

• Rock-Island-M5-02.png
    Rock-Island-M5-02.png
    38 KB · Views: 366

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided I need one of these, just something to load up for sentry duty, so I ended up with the Security Model. 20” barrel, 7+1 capacity. They have one with an 18.5” barrel that holds 5+1 too if that’s your preference. Me, I liked the 20” and 7+1 so that’s what I got. The Maverick 88 is basically the budget line of the Mossberg 500. A couple of differences are the location and type of safety, it is not tapped for optics, the receiver is alloy, and you can’t put a magazine extension on them due to the design of the mag tube and screw off cap. But it will take almost everything else as replacement parts from the 500, including barrels. Oh, it doesn’t have sling swivels so that might be a thing to some.

Back to the safety; it is a cross bolt safety like on an 870 rather than the top mounted one like a Mossberg 500 has. It’s just less expensive and easier, so that’s the route that the Maverick line sports. It’s not a big deal to me, although I prefer the top mounted safety to a cross bolt, for the price and intended purpose of the gun, it is fine.

Some good things it does have despite its low price are dual extractors and dual action bars. The action is not silky smooth, the trigger is a little rough, and the bluing seems to be very thin. But it will smooth out with time and use, so I’ll rack the crap out if it, shoot it, clean it, and repeat. Went to the range with Surjimmy yesterday and we ran some through, it worked just fine, and it is now sitting in a secure, easily accessible place serving it’s intended purpose. It’s loaded up with Remington Low Recoil 00 buck. 7+1 rounds of that should take care of about anything I need it to. Might get an adapter and try some of those little Aquila mini shells maybe...but for duty, what’s in her now will be the call. I know it will do what I want it to do.

For my purposes, it will fit the bill. And you can buy these NIB for less than $200 all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a real SD shotgun find a Mossberg AT-500. Drilled and tapped for scope, 8+1 capacity in 2 3/4', 6+1 with the 3" shells complete with sling swivels.
I had one and it was one of the guns stolen when our house got burglarized. Don't know if they still make them, but they are out there. At least mine is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom