Motion Sensor - battery life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a wireless motion sensor (well, PIR) to cover the front door/porch area, so hopefully I'll know when the UPS/FedEx ninjas leave a package.

The receivers plug into AC outlets, but the sensor runs on 3 AAA batteries. I'm wondering if any of y'all have/had these and can give me an idea on battery life expectancy.

Thanks.
:drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what brand or model yours is but most name brand alarm manufactured ones for indoor usage last three to five years.

Treat it as a smoke detector and replace every year?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...

I finally got around to mounting this thing on the front porch a few minutes ago (mail lady arrived during the process, of course). The PIR sensor does NOT work through window glass btw.

The plastic ball/socket is kinda wimpy, so I drilled through the ball half (it attaches to the PIR sensor), tapered the back side with a pocket knife to tilt it down a bit and mounted it with a long screw over the front door.

I put one receiver here in the den, and the other in the small bath by my bedroom. Everything works great so far.

I dated one of the (3) AAA batteries and will try to post here when they need changing. Hmm... I may have some rechargeable NiMH ones somewhere, but they're several years old. Might try them if I decide to go with a wall wart for power, and just let it keep 'em charged. Kinda moot when power is out to the receivers though.

So many projects, so little time...
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom