Motorhome advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta be single ply TP if you want the stuff to quickly breakdown and not clog up the sensors.

Speaking of sensors - if you don’t have a black tank spray option built into the RV, dump a bunch of the ice down the toilet before heading down the road. It will rattle around and clean the sensors until you get to a dump site.
If the black tank sparger bar option isn't on the RV there is a wand that one can stick down into the toilet to spray the walls and break up the "junk" to wash it down the exit hose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look for some RV forums that include people using all different kinds of RV's. You can learn a lot just by reading, but if you want to ask your own questions, you would need to register with the forums to be able to do that. This kind of forum will give you general information about RV'ing.

Look for a forum that is specific to your brand (or considered brand) of RV. Reading what they speak of gives one an idea of any problems with said brands.
Very good advice. ^^^^^^ Wife and I called Terry and his wife before buying our first to get some advice as we didn't know squat about owning/living in one. We got some good advice and logged on to some forums that deal with RV living to get more advice.
We are constantly learning after a couple years of living in ours 4-5 months out of the year.
We are so ate up with it, there is a new F-250 and a new 5th wheel RV on order as we speak. With the Covid, it will be months getting here, but they are on order.
I can say without any excuses we have had the best times in our lives while in our RV. Our first long range trip to Colorado three years ago had us meet a couple that are like social mega friends. They have been on the road for 12 years full time, 12 month of the year and a lot of their RV friends are full timers as well.
So now we have this group of about 15 couples in their RV's we camp with in different parts of the country. Some in their late 50's that made it big and retired early, some older into their 70's that are retirees.
Everyone in the group stays in Mercedes Tx at a gated RV resort with 18 hole golf course with tons of amentities in the winter, and Colorado during the heat of the summer in one campground. The rest of the time everyone goes their own way around the country to do their own thing.
Huge group email system to keep everybody in the loop and where we can meet during the times when everybody is traveling around.
5 Couples in the group met up in Eureka springs two weeks ago for a few days. We were there.
We have Construction Workers, Electricians, Ex FBI agent, Ex postal Investigator, Business executives and so on in the group. You have to drag by force their history out of them.
Everyone washes that history out of their minds after a few years out of those jobs except for those of us that are electrically inclined.
Our fellow campers keep us pretty busy only if we WANT to.
So my advice to ithrowicecubes is to learn to do away with being shy. Say hello to every person you walk by.(they will do the same to you) If someone is sitting outside of their RV, acknowledge them and complement them on their rig, and move along.
If your sitting around the campfire or it's happy hour at the RV and someone walks by, invite them in. My wife used to be the most introverted person you've ever seen with one or two friends her entire life. This experience has made her into a social butterfly and opened up her life.
RV live is amazing if you want it to be.
Some just can't adjust to living outdoors, cooking outdoors, afraid of bugs, and whatever.
Okchunter gave you a pretty good list of things you need. After your first trip you will discover more items so on and so on until finally getting stocked up.
Charcoal grills work great the closer you get to sea level. Propane works better when you get in the mountains.
As I read the OP, its a motor coach right?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@ithrowicecubes

Something neither I nor Dennis mentioned was that my wife and I have been living full-time in our RV since about May of 2011. While that doesn't make me an "expert," I can direct you to various sources of information to benefit you. That is why I mentioned finding forums.

If you have specific questions, feel free to use the private message feature of the forums to contact me. We are currently working our Summer work gig here in Indiana at the moment, but we will return to Oklahoma at some point, depending on what they have in the way of work for us.

Terry

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. Good stuff. Should take delivery of our 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer early next week. Then the adventures begin!

Would you mind posting a review once you've spent some time in it? The wife and I have this one (the 25 RW specifically) and the Forest River Forester (MBS) 2401B on our short list for the future. Just wondering if the Tiffin is worth the extra $$$.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you mind posting a review once you've spent some time in it? The wife and I have this one (the 25 RW specifically) and the Forest River Forester (MBS) 2401B on our short list for the future. Just wondering if the Tiffin is worth the extra $$$.

From the standpoint of one that looked at motorhomes and fifth wheels while choosing our RV, I'd go with the Tiffin. They are out of Red Bay, Alabama and has some very good reviews, especially with respect to service in their "home." When we were looking at RV's, the motorhomes we considered were the Tiffin Phaetons. We test drove a 40-footer and a 42-footer with the tag-axle. The 42-footer seemed much more stable when driving.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the standpoint of one that looked at motorhomes and fifth wheels while choosing our RV, I'd go with the Tiffin. They are out of Red Bay, Alabama and has some very good reviews, especially with respect to service in their "home." When we were looking at RV's, the motorhomes we considered were the Tiffin Phaetons. We test drove a 40-footer and a 42-footer with the tag-axle. The 42-footer seemed much more stable when driving.

Thanks for the info!

ithrowicecubes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, bad news. We’re killing the deal on the Tiffin Wayfarer. Turns out the OCCC weight capacity on the 25RW we wanted is only 672 lbs. Which is dangerously low. The four of us in the family weigh in at a combined 650 lbs. That doesn’t leave much for water and gear. In fact, we’re no longer considering the Sprinter chassis altogether. Looking at a Winnebago Minni Winnie on a Ford chassis now.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, bad news. We’re killing the deal on the Tiffin Wayfarer. Turns out the OCCC weight capacity on the 25RW we wanted is only 672 lbs. Which is dangerously low. The four of us in the family weigh in at a combined 650 lbs. That doesn’t leave much for water and gear. In fact, we’re no longer considering the Sprinter chassis altogether. Looking at a Winnebago Minni Winnie on a Ford chassis now.
Yep - an ice chest full of beer would put you over the limit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom