Mounting scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro_drey

Marksman
Reaction score
Anyone have any good video tutorial links or some advice for installing scopes with a scope base and rings it’s a Nikon black fx 1000 4-14x50mm going on a 0moa scope base on a Remington 700 26” sf 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't watched this yet but I'm pretty sure this guy knows what he's doing.
I've got a new gun and scope coming, so I'll be watching it.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want accurate avoid the cheap levels like the weaver junk. You can use a digital level/angle gauge like this. Level the gun, Level the base then hopefully your top scope dial/cap if its flat level that. Or you can level the gun and then use a plumb bob. I have used a fiber glass arrow suspended from a string as its easier to see it vs a string.

Or do it the easy way use a deck of cards or business cards between scope and base of scope turrets. Or feeler gauges as you start to torque it you may need to remove a card or two during the process. Ring torque is very important to not damage the scope and make sure its doesn't come loose.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice above. All the work you put in to prepping your levels will pay off. I cannot stress that enough. Just like Neckbeard said, level the gun and base, make sure you lower rings are level, then mount. Do you have a lapping kit? They're worth the money (in my personal opinion), especially if you are going the PRS route. Level the reticle once you have your gun/base/lower rings all aligned and torqued down. A plumb bob works excellent, or just use window curtains, or anything you can get a true vertical alignment guide from at a little bit of a distance away. There are a lot of excellent scope mounting tutorials on YouTube. A really good and knowledgeable YouTube account is 'Panhandle Precision'. He's got some excellent reloading videos, and has a good scope mounting video.

Along with a lapping kit (which is nice but not completely necessary - especially with high quality rings), a good torque wrench for your ring screws is essential. Make sure you have an inch/pound wrench. The Wheel FAT wrench is really good, and not terribly expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accu...JTNMY0WJWB9&psc=1&refRID=MN867ZHN0JTNMY0WJWB9

And #242 Blue Loctite!

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always lap the rings in. Not that I question if the bores of the rings are truly round as much as giving me a picture of the alignment of the rings to each other. If you are using two piece bases, the need for lapping is even greater.

Latest posts

Top Bottom