Movies to Help Pass the Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure that almost all of us have numerous DVD's and blu-rays. What are some of your favorite titles? Also, of you would, please tell a bit about the movie.. I'll start.

World Without End (1956) tells of the first US flight into space in 1957. When they start to return they encounter a great turbulence in space and are knocked unconscious. They awaken to discover that they have crash-landed on an unknown planet. After a while, they find that it is earth in the far future.

The Stand (1994) tells of a deadly pandemic, and the aftermath. Adapted from the novel by Stephen King, it follows the book quite closely.

Count Dracula (1977) is the most faithful adaptation of the 1897 novel that I have seen. Louis Jourdan makes a surprisingly good Count. It is available on youtube.

Any of the Jesse Stone series, with Tom Selleck are good. Selleck plays a small town police chief in Massachusetts, who deals with a lot of personal problems, but is nonetheless a very good police chief.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I no longer own a DVD player, but have transferred all of mine to a harddrive. I think it still counts.
I've been in a comedy mood lately myself, and have rewatched some instant classics from the 90's including Tommy Boy, Black Sheep and a couple of the Vacation movies.
Can't get much better than Chris Farley and Chevy Chase for good laugh.

Outside of movies that everyone knows, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010) is great low budget comedy.
It's about two hapless rednecks trying to renovate their "vacation" home, while a group of city slicking college kids mistake them for serial killers. It's definitely for people who enjoy campy movies, but it's one of my all time favorites.
tucker-and-dale-vs-evil1.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tuck & Dale vs Evil is a great flick!

If low budget campy movies is your thing, Netflix is full of em. Some real shining stars include.
Velocipastor
Bubba the Redneck Werewolf
Night of the Were-Rooster
Stan Helsing
Sharkansas Womens Prison Massacre (prime)

If you know how to download movies, I've Disney classics kick lately.
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
The Million Dollar Duck
The Love Bug
In Search of the Castaways
The Jungle Book

Any Tom Hanks movie between 1992-2004.
Catch Me If You Can
That Thing You Do
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brother (& The Pacific)

Of course, the Marvel Infinity Saga should keep anybody busy for a week or so. 22 films, some OK, most good, some great.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All time favorite --- The Shawshank Redemption

'Chick flick" --- Hope Floats

'Kid movie' --- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

'Fantasy' --- The Hobbit

'Sci-fi' --- Rogue One

'Sports' --- Remember the Titans

'Automobile' --- Grand Prix

'John Wayne' --- The Hellfighters

'Western' --- Pale Rider