Moving a safe...stupid questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my safe was delivered, the guys set several round poles on the ground and laid a sheet of plywood on top of it. Then they wrestled the safe on top of the plywood. They pushed the safe from the truck, into my back yard and into my gun room by rolling the safe on top of the poles like moving pyramid stones.

If I ever move that’s probably the same way it’ll come out.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call friends to help you. Call lots of friends. Gimme a call- no wait, I'm out of town that day.
Seriously, work smarter not harder. Use a piano dolly for an upright piano. Most rental supply places have one. You can easily move a safe by yourself if there are no stairs. Or, use a vending machine/appliance dolly. It's a two wheel dolly with legs that extend from the back.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call friends to help you. Call lots of friends. Gimme a call- no wait, I'm out of town that day.
Seriously, work smarter not harder..

I said pay to have it moved by someone else because after 6 moves in 18 years. I have found its money well spent to pay someone else to break their back. The whole call all your buddies and give them beer and pizza isn't a good financial decision. Not only will that be a large portion of what you could have paid an insured pro to do it. You also will be indebted to those suckers when they want to move. Personally I would rather pay to have my stuff moved than have to help other people move their stuff for free or a couple beers. Also professionals may break a lamp and take $20 off the bill. If your buddy's jack up your wives dining room table or headboard they just say sorry and grab another beer.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, had mine moved twice by professionals. No strain on my back or friends. Also, use movers to move us. No more U-Haul for me.

Also always had a pickup and helped others move,not anymore too damn old...LMAO

Last edited:

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rented a refrigerator dolly, went to the local college and hired a couple of the football players.(college student are always in need of extra cash) Took them to where the safe was. They loaded it on my trailer. Took to the house. They unloaded it and moved it in the house. I took them back to the college. Gave them $50. Each.(Total time less than an huour)The whole time I didnt have to lift a finger except to point where I wanted the safe placed.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We will be using an appliance dolly for sure, I assumed that was a given but I guess not.
And shoes are a sure thing too, steel toe as thats pretty much daily attire anyways.

I'm thinking maybe move the two small ones first so we have use of them at the new place and then save the big one for last.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back after high school in the summer I worked for Bekins Van lines in the moving business. With the right equipment moving heavy objects is pretty easy. No hydraulics, just two men and the right equipment. We moved a 9' concert grand piano off a 4' stage at the civic center to another building on a regular basis with two guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom