Moving away from the .44 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had plans to save up for a Springfield TRP Operator in 10mm, then they discontinued that model and the prices skyrocketed. I love my TRP Operator in 45 and would think you would be very pleased with that setup in 10mm.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you wanted to keep the revolver thing going, there’s always the Smith and Wesson 610. You can get 4 or 6” barrels, and it eats out of moon clips so reloading is quick. Good all around setup too, as you can practice with .40 and 10mm, and you can use snake shot if you’re carrying it around closer to home. I like to carry mine when hunting squirrels, so I can take a shot at a pig or pop that water moccasin that wants to be too friendly.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided on the S&W Series 2 as I'm a fan of the 1911 and they have the same grip angle as well as competing with one in .40 in USPSA matches for around 5 years. Very familiar with the platform and controls, so that's the direction I'm going
This is black bear country? Your preference will be fine. Load some fmj along with some hp and you'll be fine.

In griz/kodiak country, I wouldn't carry less than a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70. Maybe a Rem 870 loaded with 3 inch slugs.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy I've got you covered buddy, there is no reason to invest the $$$ in another gun.

Several years back I recall reading that all you need to do to keep bears away in bear country is to just let them know that you're in their neighborhood by pinning little bells on your hat and whistling as you walk through the woods and they'll avoid you like the plague.

Wait a minute, now that I think on it I think that I recall reading later that they were no longer recommending that method because several hikers had came up missing and the game wardens had found piles of bear poop with little bells in it. :)

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been carrying the Ruger Super Redhawk in 7.5" barrel for several years in bear country with a chest rig and a speed loader on the rig. That thing is so heavy I'm looking at a 10mm semi auto to wear on the hip with some heavy for caliber solids for penetration.
Decided on the S&W Series 2 as I'm a fan of the 1911 and they have the same grip angle as well as competing with one in .40 in USPSA matches for around 5 years. Very familiar with the platform and controls, so that's the direction I'm going unless someone has a recommendation other than a glock they are happy with. Own one glock won at a DU banquet. Never own another.
You could have the barrel cut to 4" and the grip frame rounded and that would make a really handy bear or anything gun. I had my blue Redhawk fixed up that way and it's really nice. They are heavy but I just prefer a big revolver. I

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Clark kit in a 1911 at one time and it never functioned right, would jam constantly. I think it's way to much pressure for a normal size 1911. Had a 24 lb recoil spring in it.
Have researched them quite a bit and the Clark kit is more of a work it until you find the happy . The 460 Rowlands kit you get is pretty much good to go , just a drop in set up and it' is MIO .

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned a S&W 1076 FBI for several years. Same size and weight as a 1911commander but held 9+1rnds of 10mm. Best semi auto pistol I have ever owned, my EDC working private security until KCMO PD dropped 10mm from acceptable cartridges.
I sold it to Cabelas KC, wish I still had it

Latest posts

Top Bottom