"Moving away from the city". What to expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this a huge barrier for many people. Fortunately, satellite internet will change this very soon. Starlink won't have low enough latency for gaming but will be plenty fast for everything else.
The big question is not gaming for us anyway, but will it support wifi security cams. We used early satellite for wifi here in the sticks and had major problems. One being poor signal and the other being the latency that would not allow the wifi cams.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you known someone who owned a house near the Turner Falls area? I rode through there this weekend and you can see that they are building up enough infrastructure for there to be homes out there, but I wonder who owns the land.

Very large ranches in the area (They buy land not sell)
there is a ATV park in the area with 1,500 acres to ride

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not moving anytime soon with the housing market being unfavorable to buyers right now, but I think I'm done with being "in the city" and would eventually like at least a 1 acre property on the far outskirts of the metro.

I'm looking for some experiences on things that can be "sobering" when going from being in the city to living out where it's more open.

I know there's a few obvious ones like:
  • May not have city water and sewer, so then you've got septic and well water
  • May not have trash pickup service? (I think this concern is not as common though)
  • Less/no high speed internet options
  • May lack paved roads depending on the area.. could have a gravel or dirt driveway.
  • May need to upgrade to a riding mower
  • Longer trips to go to the store, more money spent on gas, increased wear on vehicles, etc.
  • Dealing with wild animals? I have guns and have no qualms about shooting coyotes or raccoons.

There are some oddball concerns I've thought about. Are these a concern?
  • Neighbors who shoot on their property and accidentally shoot towards your home?
  • Neighbors who regularly burn trash or rely heavily on fireplaces, and your house being downwind from them? (I've read stories of people whose houses were constantly bombarded by smoke)
  • Random people riding ATVs or dirt bikes on your property, despite putting up property markers? (I assume a simple fence would solve this)
  • Noise from pump jacks?
Lighten up, the first thing you need to do is quit worrying about what your neighbors could do! Don't make the new place just like the place you are leaving!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since somebody revived this thread... We've been going through old papers at my folks' place, and one of the things I found was a flyer for the Cleveland County OSU Extension Office's 2018 "Green Acres Conference" (like the TV show) for city folks who want to move to a farm. I don't know if they're still doing it, but I'd bet that they still have the materials (or at least a list of them) from the conference.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not opposed to buying more land, but it's as if everyone here is saying to buy more land without also explaining that it will cost more to maintain that land (taxes, fencing, inspecting it on a regular basis for issues).
I have just one acre around my house that is actually fenced that I mow. The other two acres I just let go. The neighbor's cows sometime graze on the grass, and I don't care. When there are no cows around, I can shoot in the back yard, the nearest neighbor was about a mile away. Someone is now building a few hundred yards away, but not in the line of my shooting. To me a three BR/BA house with 3 acres and a big barn for $175K is such a bargain to me. In WA (where I also have a house) this would probably go for $750k+ easy.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have just one acre around my house that is actually fenced that I mow. The other two acres I just let go. The neighbor's cows sometime graze on the grass, and I don't care. When there are no cows around, I can shoot in the back yard, the nearest neighbor was about a mile away. Someone is now building a few hundred yards away, but not in the line of my shooting. To me a three BR/BA house with 3 acres and a big barn for $175K is such a bargain to me. In WA (where I also have a house) this would probably go for $750k+ easy.
175 looks like a deal for that. What utilities? Just electrical?

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
175 looks like a deal for that. What utilities? Just electrical?
500-gallon propane tank for heat, everything else is electric. Electricity is a co-op and won't buy excess electricity if I put in a solar system, so not worth it. Faxon, about 20 miles to Fort Sill where I work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom